New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a problem with a computer with the following symptoms:

Upon booting to XP the keyboard will not function. Mouse will load OK. I f I go to Control Panel/Hardware Mgr. It shows the yellow/red exclamation point next to the keyboard. I can hilight the keyboard here and delete it. I then go to Add New Hardware and XP will find and initalize the keyboard. Keyboard works until I have to reboot the computer and the pattern repeats. During boot up the keyboard works to get into BIOS, F8 etc, but not in XP so I don't think it is a hardware problem. I have tried several different keyboards, both PS2 and USB with no success. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    dj

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Only one, I'm afraid. I can only see the keyboard driver as being the common culprit here. It seems it isn't loading properly on boot, but your move to get XP to add new hardware appears to kick it into action.

I've never installed a keyboard driver - Windows own driver seems to do the necessary, for me. I assume some of the more advanced "bells and whistles" keyboards might come with an installation disk, which may include specific drivers. Might be worth while finding a copy of the driver file and replace your current one?

Thanks
    The next time you get the "yellow/red exclamation point" in device manager, see if you can't point it to the installation disk
    for the driver instead of the root folders.
    You can also check Windows Update, they may have a driver update.

I too have never had to install a keyboard driver unless the board has some extra functionality that requires one.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have cats roaming around where your computer is? I recently had similar problems with my Dell Dimension desktop. Neither the mouse nor the keyboard would work.

I found a website that advised the following :

1) Shut Down computer, Unplug power cord from "back of computer" for 30 seconds, plug power back in, restart computer.
    That worked for me almost each time I tried it. It has happened 3 times in past month. I think it is because I have most of my USB ports being used or the cats are doing something to my wires.

The second solution advised by the help site was:

2) Shut Down computer, Unplug all USB devices, Unplug power cord from "back of computer" for 30 seconds, attach only the USB for keyboard and mouse, plug power back in, restart computer.
    I had to use this method once and it worked.

3) They had a 3rd solution which is pretty technical and involves removing your cover and getting inside to de-energize some USB stuff.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I believe that it is some kind of a driver issue also, but not a corrupted driver-otherwise is would not work when I have it look for new hardware and it installs the keyboard. It is more like when XP boots it either does not load the keyboard driver or it loads a different one that is corrupted. Is there a way to list everything that loads on bootup and verify if a keyboard driver is being loaded?

Thanks,
    dj

Thanks
    Try LoadOrder 1.0 from Sysinternals.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help. I went back over things again, when I would boot and the keyboard would not work I could mouse to Device Manager and the keyboard said "This device can not start (Code 10)". Doing some searching lead me to believe that this often happens with USB devices, but my Keyboard was PS/2. However my mouse, which worked just fine was the only USB device attached to the computer. I swapped it out for a PS/2 mouse rebooted and everything, keyboard and mouse, work fine. Go figure.

Thanks again,

dj

Thanks
    Then it may have been an enabled legacy setting in the bios. Check for a setting that alows USB over PS2 or vice versa.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build: