3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, all. I hope someone has a trick I might use.

The situation is this: I am using Heading 1 to ennumerate my chapters, and have entered the text with a line-break character separating the text "Chapter n:" from the rest of the title (for aesthetics.) I have a StyleRef field in the header of each section, to reflect the current chapter title. However, the header is (of course) also including the line break, which I do NOT want.

I briefly considered using Numbering with the style Heading 1, but I find it a PITA in Word 2007, since there doesn't seem to be a convenient way to modify the numbering style of the Heading 1 style if I need to tweak it. Also, I want the header to reflect the chapter number, which it didn't when I use auto numbering (although I suspect there would be some way of doing that via fields.)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can have the chapter title break in the middle in the body of the document but not in the header?

Thanks in advance for you help and ideas.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you want the automatic heading number to also appear in the styleref then you need to use a pair of styleref fields {StyleRef "Heading 1" \n} {StyleRef "Heading 1"}.

If you are not using autonumbering then you could use a different style for both lines and use a paragraph break
    Heading 1 Number
    Heading 1
    Then in the header you can use {StyleRef "Heading 1 Number"} {StyleRef "Heading 1"}

Alternatively, you could change the new line break into a tab and place a tab stop right at the end of the paragraph (so the text wraps onto the next line as soon as a character is added after the tab). Then in your styleref field you just need to make sure the tab appears close to the following text.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Brilliant! Thanks for the help; it's exactly what I wanted.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike