Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I have this computer connected to a modem/router.
    Whenever I set the internal IP of the PC to a fixed address, the internet connection is lost.
    When I put it back to automatic it connects again.
    Even when using the settings that are set by the router it doesn't work.
    Details for instance:
    IP 192.168.1.20
    Submask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.1
    DNS1 192.168.1.1
    No DNS2.

Other computers in this network have a fixed IP and internet connection.
    Disabling the firewall doesn't seem to matter.

Anyone?
    TIA
    Sjors

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sjors For This Useful Post:

SBK (2013-07-04)

Thanks
    Hi sjors,

These two statements you wrote seem to be contradictory, and I do not know what to make of them:
    "When I put it back to automatic it connects again.
    Even when using the settings that are set by the router it doesn't work." What settings are you referring to here?

The router is evidently set up to use DHCP to automatically supply IP addresses to the computers on the network. Otherwise when you set your PC to obtain an IP address automatically, it would not be able to connect.

On the router setup page there is an input field to specify the number of computers to allow automatic IP addresses, and there is a range of IP addresses that can be chosen to be supplied to those computers. For example, there might be 10 computers allowed on the network for DHCP to automatically assign IP addresses. Now, for example, on the range of IP addresses, let's say the first one at the beginning of the range is set at 192.168.1.11 and the last address that can be assigned in the range is 192.168.1.20. If this were the range of IP addresses set for the 10 computers, then when you decide to set your computer up with a static IP address, you would need to choose an address outside of the reserved automatic range. Therefore you would avoid setting your static IP to any address starting at 192.168.1.11 thru 192.168.1.20. You could set your static address to any number besides these, for example, you could set up the address 192.168.1.10, or 192.168.1.21, or any number (after the third dot) lower or higher than these two. You cannot use any address that has been reserved as an automatically assigned address or you will get conflicts. The numbers I listed here are examples only. Your network could be set up with any number of IP addresses that have been reserved for use by DHCP. The other computers you mentioned that have static IP addresses and have no problem connecting probably have IP addresses that are outside the range that has been reserved for the router's DHCP.

This could be the reason you cannot connect when you set a static IP address on your PC.

Another thing to check is to be sure the IP address you have chosen for your static IP conforms to the subnet mask you listed above, which is 255.255.255.0, which means in your case, the first three sets of digits must be 192.168.1. The fourth number is the only one that will be different from all others used in your networks' IP addresses.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gerald,
    Tnx for this.
    I'm aware of the concept you describe.
    That's why I gave this pc a fixed address outside the range (of 20 in my case).
    Although your answer helped to check settings again, it doesn't help to solve my problem I'm afraid.

tnx anyway,
    Sjors

Thanks
    Do you mind me asking why you do not want to use DHCP to assign IP addresses automatically? What is the compelling reason to go with a static IP address on your PC?

I use a static IP address on my network printer so all the computers on the network can reliably send print jobs to a fixed IP address rather than contend with one that changes every few days.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Whenever I set the internal IP of the PC to a fixed address, the internet connection is lost.
    You must have made a mistake when you set the address. As long as the netmask and DNS are correct it doesn't matter what IP address you use, as long as it's within the range and not .0 or .255.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi both,

The reason of a fixed IP is to be able to get a remote connection to this pc (and others in the network).

Evidently I should have made a typo, but after checking it 10 times at least...
    Having done this thousand of times it will still be possible of course, but I can't find the typo.

What I mean with the settings by the router is the dhcp-thing in the concept you wrote.

tnx again,
    Sjors

Thanks
    What is your router make and model? What is your OS on the PC with the issue?

Since other PCs on your network have a static IP and work ok, the next thing to check is to see if TCP/IP is properly configured on the problem PC. While your computer is still set up with the static IP address, go to Command Prompt (CMD) and type: ping 127.0.0.1 and press enter to see if you can successfully ping your computer. If errors are returned, then TCP/IP is misconfigured and needs to be fixed.

Some routers give you the capability to set a static IP address for a specific computer (or several computers). Have you checked your router to see if it has that capability? If so, try to assign the static address from within the router instead of doing it on your PC.
    Deadeye81

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gerald,
    tnx for staying with me ;-)
    it's a Fritz! 7270, I don't think it's on the US-market.
    The OS is XPP latest patches.
    The Fritz doesn't have this capability, NEIN!
    It's German, from avm.de

I will check the settings again, but that might take some time before I get to this location.

Regards,
    Sjors

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Even when using the settings that are set by the router it doesn't work.
    hmmm

I am going to assume by you saying this that you set the machine to DHCP (obtain an IP address automatically).

You then issued an IPCONFIG /ALL from the command prompt and wrote down all the information such as; subnet mask, gateway ip address, DNS servers, etc.

You then went in and ASSIGNED the information above setting the computer's IP address outside of the range of DHCP lease range on your router.

If you have done as above, about the only thing it can be is a duplicate IP address on your network. From another machine (or from this machine while it is still in DHCP mode) PING the address you wish to assign to be sure it is not already in use. If it is you will need to change the IP on the other device or use a different IP for this computer.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Mercy,
    Yes, you are correct, this is the way I handled things.
    And checked over and over again.
    Next week I will do it again (done this the last 20 yrs on hundreds of machines though).
    Nevertheless, as you all say I must have made some mistake.
    Will let you folks know.

tnx again,
    Sjors

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nevertheless, as you all say I must have made some mistake
    I don't know about that, did you ping the address first too be sure it is not already in use?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I always use an IP-scanner like the free one from famatech

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Does the router do some weird things with addresses that are not allowed out unless assigned by the router. or only NAT a specific range?

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No Paul, nothing of that kind.

thank you
    Sjors

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you ping the machine from others on the network?

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast