Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Do monkeys have the equivalent of twenty fingers?

Are there special monkey keyboards? One hundred monkeys with twenty fingers....

Thanks
    Monkeys have 10 fingers, like us, of course. Or rather we have 10 fingers, just like them. Why do you ask? Is this a riddle? 100 monkeys sitting at 100 keyboards typing out the works of Shakespeare?
    2 desktops: Win XP Pro SP3 / 3 GHZ/3 GB RAM/ Firefox, Thunderbird /
    Open Office

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, they don't have feet like ours, but they do a remarkable job of using their 'toes', if that is what they are, in holding on to things. But then, I suppose, that is similar to, let us say, squirrels. Nor do they have opposable thumbs, which are of no benefit when it comes to keyboarding. They certainly must have vastly more independent movement of their 'toes' than we do of ours. Which is what led to my original post, and its allusion to 100 monkeys writing the complete works of Shakespeare. I suspect that they would have a significant advantage if keyboarding with the appropriate keyboards were the input device, simply by virtue of their capacity to input random characters per minute.

Thanks
    Monkeys have opposable thumbs.
    Open Office

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RochelleP View Post
    Monkeys have opposable thumbs.
    Touché. You learn something every day, and I just learned what you have taught me (which is contrary to what I have been taught in past). Who knows but that I may look it up for myself, but for the moment you are my sole source.

I would welcome any additional such knowledge you choose to impart. For my part I can tell you that this morning I watched a pair of juvenile squirrels chasing each other around the limbs of a tree, all the while being chased by a crow or pair of crows, which is something I haven’t seen before and which may in part have inspired my question.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Monkeys have 10 fingers, like us, of course. Or rather we have 10 fingers, just like them.
    Now I am looking at my hands - I can only locate 8 fingers. Of course, there are two thumbs. As for the toe/finger issue, I won't even get into that.

Thanks
    Could be I just watch more PBS than you do. "Nature," Sunday at 8 PM for about 30 years.

Monkeys and humans came from branches of the same ancestor, so of course we all have opposable thumbs. We still share 98% of the DNA of chimps. But we've lost the great footsie stuff after we learned to walk upright. Natural selection and survival of the fittest.

Monkeys also have the abilitry to use facial expressions for emotion that many other mammals don't have, except us. Far more musculature in the face than, say, the dog or elephant.

Just Google "monkeys opposable thumbs" and read some interesting stuff. The internet is out there like the 100-lb gorila in the room.
    Open Office

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rochelle P., good morning.

Monkeys and humans came from branches of the same ancestor, you wrote.

Should have been "same tree", ;-)

Thanks
    How about this (from http://www.nigms.nih.gov/Publication...cVariation.htm)

Are human genes similar to those of animals? Yes. In fact, the DNA sequence of chimpanzees--our closest living relatives--is 96 percent identical to our own. And on average, our genes are 85 percent the same as those of mice, even though these organisms are quite distant from us on the evolutionary tree.

imho, the term 'monkey' is very general. Some monkeys like capuchins do not have opposable thumbs. And all monkeys (even chimpanzees and orangutans) have nothing like the flexibility humans have with their thumbs.

Oh, and we share about half our DNA with a bananna.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gardner View Post
    And all monkeys (even chimpanzees and orangutans) have nothing like the flexibility humans have with their thumbs.
    Chimpanzees and orangutans are not monkeys. They are great apes, as are gorillas and humans. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_ape

Thanks
    OK.

Let's get back on topic. Yes, I think apes and monkeys could have keyboards with twice the number of keys, but they would probably type the way I do, about as well as a banana.
    Open Office