New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know that all software has problems when you push the envelope. What are some of the problems people have had with Windows Home Server. I am retiring soon and would like a server class storage for our home network. I would be storing photos and my wife graphics. We would both be storing music and videos. I am looking to see how plain of a system I would need to not have problem. Also is it going to be upgraded from Win 2003 base any time soon. If so when?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mylrea View Post
    I know that all software has problems when you push the envelope. What are some of the problems people have had with Windows Home Server. I am retiring soon and would like a server class storage for our home network. I would be storing photos and my wife graphics. We would both be storing music and videos. I am looking to see how plain of a system I would need to not have problem. Also is it going to be upgraded from Win 2003 base any time soon. If so when?
    There are a couple of weak points of most OEM WHS machines I've seen. One, they seldom have enough RAM. If you want to experiment at all with WHS addins you should probably have at 2GB RAM. Two, many WHS machines only have one hard drive. They can easily be expanded to more than one. Until you have more than one hard drive you can't turn on file duplication. I think this is one of the most important features of WHS. In the initial release of WHS there was a data corruption problem that was fixed with the first big service release (call Power Packs in WHS terminology).

A BETA release of the next major version of WHS based on Windows Server 2008 R2 has been released. It appears that MS is aiming at the holiday season of 2010 for the official release. See Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Vail Report: Next Home Server Gets Storage Right and Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Windows Home Server "Vail" Preview for more information. Also, see MediaSmartServer.net The Windows Home Server Enthusiast Community for more articles. Be sure to check the blogroll at the bottom right for other WHS enthusiast sites.

If you are adventureous you you can go to WINDOWS HOME SERVER | Microsoft Connect and sign up to test "VAIL".

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    have you considered linux?

http://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page

This would do everything you need and you would not need to touch the command line.