New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've seen lots of helpful information on what to do if you can't get past a bios password.

However, my problem is just the opposite. I had a bios password that worked as it was supposed to for quite some time. Then, a week or two ago, I found that the pc was booting directly to Windows (XP Home), bypassing the bios lock. I've reset the password, but to no avail. The pc still boots directly to Windows.

I know it must seem strange to be complaining about a healthy pc that boots directly and uneventfully into Windows! But I'm a bit puzzled by this one, and would be grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks.

Thanks
    How old is the computer?
    Go back into bios and remove the password, then clear the bios by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes. Then go
    back into the bios and setup your password again.
    Check through your motherboard and bios documentation; there may be a 3 pin selector on the mainboard to reset the bios also, but I would remove the battery for a short time too. If the system is old the CMOS battery may need to be replaced.

Also of note; go back in your mind to figure what you have changed over the last few weeks, either inadvertently or otherwise.
    Sometimes, actually many times, system "tweaks" may have an equal & opposite reaction. [Newton's Law of computers]
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    How old is the computer?
    Go back into bios and remove the password, then clear the bios by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes. Then go
    back into the bios and setup your password again.
    Check through your motherboard and bios documentation; there may be a 3 pin selector on the mainboard to reset the bios also, but I would remove the battery for a short time too. If the system is old the CMOS battery may need to be replaced.

Also of note; go back in your mind to figure what you have changed over the last few weeks, either inadvertently or otherwise.
    Sometimes, actually many times, system "tweaks" may have an equal & opposite reaction. [Newton's Law of computers]
    Clint --

Thanks for responding!

I tried your suggestions: first, I removed the battery and cleared the CMOS; second, I set the CMOS jumper to Reset; third, I installed an new battery. All three times, I rebooted and reset the password.

Unfortunately, none of these procedures worked. (And, no, there haven't been any tweaks employed, or new software installed, in the last few weeks.)

Just in case I wasn't clear, the password I was referring to is the "User" password -- the one that let's you start Windows. There is of course another password, on my system called the "Administrator" password -- the one that let's you open up the bios settings for editing. Interestingly, this password continues to work as expected. It's the User password that no longer "sticks".

This makes me wonder about the processes that occur after the POST happens and the bios becomes available, but before the OS kicks in ... for me, terra incognita!

Any further suggestions you may have would be gratefully accepted.

Many thanks again,

Dominic

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you must have that feature, I would reflash the BIOS with the latest file available from the PC's motherboard manufacturer.

Thanks
    Are you sure you are not talking about the Windows logon password? Try
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.
    Set the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box, and then click Apply.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Witalka View Post
    Are you sure you are not talking about the Windows logon password? Try
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.
    Set the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box, and then click Apply.

Jerry
    My question exacly... Also if you are talking about the bios password that will not run anything after post if password is not entered the you should be flashing the bios.
    If it is the windows password policy on windows that has changed I would look at event viewer to see if there a new policy was put in place for some reason.
    In a corporate environment this can be done via a domain policy but I would not expect this as it would be a security issue.

-Matti

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Matti --

Yes, as I tried to explain, this is the User password within the bios settings. It follows the POST, is required by all users of the PC, and has nothing to do with Windows. You can't continue the boot process into Windows unless you enter the password.

On another note, I've been trying to find the appropriate file to flash the bios (as Eric and Matti suggest). However, I've have been having trouble downloading from the EPoX site, and haven't been able to find a file with the right date stamp elsewhere.

I'll report back if I have any luck with this.

Thanks to all who've responded.

Dominic