Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an unusual problem that has only just started happening. If I turn the computer on, then go away, when you come back the screen saver is not working. But if you do something on the computer and go away, when you come back the screen saver is working. Any ideas as to what has gone wrong, it used to work just fine. I have tried turning it off then back on, but that dosn't help. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Is this a laptop or desktop? I'm wondering if something is amiss in your power management settings. If you open the screen saver dialogue, there is a section to open the power management. Under your power management plan you can open advanced options. I did not see anything specific to screen saver in mine but who knows on your system. That might be a place to start looking.

Right Click desktop, Personalize, Click on Screen Saver (I'm sure you know this), Under Power management Click on Change power settings, Click on Change plan settings for the power plan you use, then Click on Change advanced power settings. I would look through all these options to start.

I would also look through the settings in the screen saver to see if something has changed there.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    John,

If no one logs on and the screen saver doesn't come on I would try this- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314493. If some one logs on I would look through the setting like Ted advised.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No problem before X, then, sudden problem after X (X = unknown event). If its software-related (registry) than a system restore to X-1(day) will remove X and solve the problem. (Yes, I'm a Dimension X fan : ) )

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have been away for a couple of days. Ted it is a desktop PC, I did look through all the things you advised, but no luck. Thanks for your suggestion Butch, still no luck, and Byron there is only one restore point and that's of no use. Could it be in the Master Boot Record, and if so , how do I find it. I ask that because I have Acronis True Image on the computer [ recently installed ] and I set the startup manager to run, once I set it Acronis popped up a message saying if you had anything starting with the MBR you would have to restart it
    Cheers John.