Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    The title says it all.You can read all about it here;FF 4
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Not sure why the Register didn't link to Beltzner's blog. Maybe they went to press before it was posted? Firefox 4: fast, powerful, and empowering beltzner

Thanks
    First looks at the Beta are beginning to show up everywhere now. CNet News, PC World and PC Mag on line have all published reviews recently.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    I think I'll stay with 3.6. Sounds like more garbage, not less.
    2 desktops: Win XP Pro SP3 / 3 GHZ/3 GB RAM/ Firefox, Thunderbird /
    Open Office

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RochelleP View Post
    I think I'll stay with 3.6.
    You usually get about 6 months of security updates on the current major version after a new one is released, so it will be quite a while before you have to decide whether to upgrade or switch away to another browser.

Sounds like more garbage, not less.
    What don't you like?

Thanks
    I read the article, and it sounds like they're making it more complex instead of simplifying it. They've been making it less intuitive and adding more stuff that very few people use, the past few years.

I won't be switching to another browser, but taking my chances staying with mine. I don't get malware because I'm careful.

I also stayed with Thunderbird 2.0024 after spending 20 minutes with TB 3.
    Open Office

Thanks
    I read the article, and it sounds like they're making it more complex instead of simplifying it. They've been making it less intuitive and adding more stuff that very few people use, the past few years.
    Intuitive, hmmm... It's difficult to satisfy power users who become accustomed to a particular way of working.

There was such a furor over the "awesome bar" (smart location bar) when it was first released. I pretty quickly stopped fighting it and now I couldn't live without it. Trumpeting HTML5 audio and video may have seemed silly at the time, but with the current furor over Flash on the iPhone, it probably will grow in importance. I have no use for themes (Personas or otherwise) myself, but I see them all the time on other peoples' PCs. I can't understand the objections to using the favicon area on the location bar to display SSL certificate information. ??

Based on my experience going to 1.5, to 2.0, to 3.0, to 3.5, and to 3.6 (partly, not yet on my office PC), I'm not too quick to criticize new features and UI changes. Sure, they might require polishing; it's definitely a work in progress and always will be. But as long as my most important extensions and shortcut keys still work, and the performance is decent, I'm willing to give it a try. With excellent community support for customizations (e.g., changing or overriding defaults), I think most people can make the browser fit their way of working.

I won't be switching to another browser, but taking my chances staying with mine. I don't get malware because I'm careful.
    The problem with vulnerable software is that malware can be injected into its address space or otherwise executed without your having to do anything other than request a page, image, or other resource. DEP helps defend against some of these exploits in the latest operating systems, and sandboxing also helps. But unfortunately, with mainstream websites increasingly used by criminals to distribute malware, it's hard to be careful enough. That's what backups are for.

Thanks
    Once again Jeff and I agree. Each level of protection adds to my security and sanity. With each extra level of protection I find myself having to spend less time cleanning and scanning my PC. I recently downloaded and installed the 64 Bit version of Sandboxie on my PC's at home. I realize that Sandboxie 64 Bit has some limitations, but for the most part I use it while surfing only and this is another level of security I find very appealing.

I will change to FF 4 when available. I do not believe the changes are just to add features and bloat. Just as IE 8 is more secure than IE 7, FF4 will be more secure than FF 3.6.3. These newer versions just make me feel safer. Yes it will be nice if the 6 or 7 add ons I use are updated as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    They've gone way beyond security fixes, and the extensions are not all updated. And didn't Personas and themes add just bloat? Tabs, when I do the same thing with multiple windows on the taskbar. Not sure how the awesome bar works, but I know it's far from complete, even with 1200 bookmarks.
    Open Office

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If they fix the memory link finally I'll be happy - that's the only change I want.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't understand all the complaining! Any bloating in FireFox is pretty much optional. If you don't like personnas, don't use it. All those add-ons are exactly that, add-ons. Anything Mozilla can do to update and make it more secure is good. I'll choose to make it as complicated as I want or not. Of course for those who don't like FireFox from updating can always use IE (oops! they update too!).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Rein View Post
    If they fix the memory link finally I'll be happy - that's the only change I want.
    Not familiar with that feature. What is it?

No if I find it's too complex with the new ribbon interface, I'll switch to Safari or Opera. We all use FF to avoid IE.
    Open Office

Thanks
    We all use FF to avoid IE.
    Hmmm, I think I see why this thread doesn't come to an agreement. As far as I know, most Firefox users do not avoid tabs, and do not view new features as "garbage" and "bloat." You are entitled to your views, of course, but please don't project them onto "all" Firefox users. We all have very diverse reasons for and manners of using Firefox (or our other choice of browser, whatever it might be).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Rein View Post
    Umm... that's a "memory leak". The problem may be with some plug-ins and extensions, not with Firefox itself. In any event, this is a complex problem, and nowhere near being solved. Closing Firefox and using CCleaner once in awhile seems to help, but that's about as good as it gets. FF 4 will not improve this issue.

Flash Player and Java Scripts are the main sources of Firefox eating up RAM and not releasing it. The more tabs, and the more active content in tabs, the worse the issue gets.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Hmmm, I think I see why this thread doesn't come to an agreement. As far as I know, most Firefox users do not avoid tabs, and do not view new features as "garbage" and "bloat." You are entitled to your views, of course, but please don't project them onto "all" Firefox users. We all have very diverse reasons for and manners of using Firefox (or our other choice of browser, whatever it might be).
    Amen to that. But there are security advantages of FF over IE which cannot be ignored.

Also there are some disadvantages to the Awesome Bar and Personas as a core feature. And the new location awareness is a concern to many of us. If all of these features can be turned off or modified sufficiently, I am on board with FF 4. If not, count me as a Chrome Convert. I know how to modify Google's location awareness, so I would know how to stay private when I wish to.

I use Firefox Personas and its Eudora/Thunderbird offshoot, and I am happy to be able to make appearance changes to suit room lighting, time of day, and other things which matter to me, but not to everybody. But the initial introduction of Personas really wrecked my transition to FF 3.6 from 3.5, so I am no fan of the way Personas has been implemented as a FF core feature. They could do better, IMO.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast