2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again, Colleagues All,

Arising out of this recent kerfuffle, I now need to find some DVD software that will play ordinary commercial DVDs. I am not looking for elaborate rip-and-burn stuff (I save that for old LPs !), but I would be interested in recommendations as to which would be the best program to download (or if needs must, buy). I have looked at the latest PowerDVD, which is Blu-Ray compatible but costs upwards of $100 Aus. I would be quite happy to get the one which was the latest thing three or four years ago (PowerDVD 6 or 7 ?) but I did note that reviews for all PowerDVD versions ran at about three and a half stars, so perhaps another product might be more attractive and useful in my situation. I look forward to all you clever people telling me what to do. (Well, I am actually just a database designer and not a Windows freak !)
    Hey Mr Webmaster, you might want to redirect this to another forum. Thhat's OK by me.

Jim.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    I would also recommend using VLC (Video Lan Project) as it will play just about anything straight off the bat.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_from_oz View Post
    I now need to find some DVD software that will play ordinary commercial DVDs. I am not looking for elaborate rip-and-burn stuff (I save that for old LPs !), but I would be interested in recommendations as to which would be the best program to download (or if needs must, buy).
    See above as per previous recommendation. It's free

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll second Josh's recommendation.
    Chuck

Thanks
    I downloaded VLC some months ago so I could do away with QuickTime for playing MP4s, but found it can do almost anything you want. I love it.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your valuable advice, colleagues all ! I downloaded VLC and concur with all of your positive opinions. What is really nice about it is that is the product of a lot of work by (mainly) students and the ready acceptance of their product will, I am sure, give them great pleasure and spur them on to even better things.
    I did have a momentary qualm when a lot of error messages came up, but then I checked the test disk and could see a fault in it. The fact it actually does signal an error is very good as most commercial systems merely freeze. My next test (mainly to ensure that my memory and the swap drive capacity were adequate was to play a DVD of Wagner's opera Gotterdammerung which for testing continuity and the various frequency ranges can hardly be bettered !

Jim

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad you you like it Jim

Not that I am claiming it as my own but it's always good to see an enjoyed recommendation especially when it's a free alternative. I am not sure what OS you are using but just in case you have any issues with Windows 7 I did post this fix a little while ago which irons out a few problems relating to image quality or even possibly freezing at worst case because of the video filter.

See my post here