New Lounger
    Thanks
    Help,My dell desktop went out for repair. I used my daughters for a couple of days. I decided to upgrade her virus scan. It needed a lisence file and the file name was hbedv.key. The install went fine and i copiied the file to both my usb sticks. Yesterday my computer came back I went to install the virus scan and the lisence lookes compressed The only way to explain it is that one of my usb sticks is a sony and it has compression on it, when you copy and paste anything to it, it compresses it and uncompresses it when you move it to install on the computer. I have two usb sticks one normal and one with compression, both files are that way when you look at them in the usb or copy them to the ddesktop, they will not work. So i went up to the antivirus site and dowloaded the file and the same thing, I did it several times. Before the computer went in I had no such problem.However I am finding no other problem with any other file. Get this I then decided to plug the usb stick not the one with compression to my wifes laptop and guess what the file looks the same compressed, and when i downloaded it the same thing as mine.. It only works on my daughters computer. These files are in most antivirus products and I don't know what to do. I can call and yell at the person who did the work because everything else seems fine. Oh one more thing i'm not too bright last night in my flustration I right clicked on the file and it said open with notepad and I'm in a bigger hole. I have zero antivus installed.because if it has a lisence it won't work. I don't know what to do. A copy of the file is attached

Thanks
    There is no file attached to your post.

Why don't you try one of the fine free AV products out there. MS has a product called Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) that has gotten great reviews in these forums. Avast has a free product that has great reviews. There are any number of others as well. One thing I like about MSE is that it includes AV and Antimalware.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I read about Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and the review said it was weak. microsoft has never had a good spyware or vvirus product and I would have downloaded avast but they use a lisence and I bet ti's the same file type> It has to have real protection and I wish there was some way to tranform this file back to haw it's suppost to be. Any virus product that uses hbedv.key file would't work. I think. Avast, antivir etc are a bitch to uninstall. But i gort to do something today.How do you ask a company if they use this lisence? By the way antivir saved my butt last week when I was hit by the rogue antispysoft virus. Can't downgrade, will pay if needed. THANKS for the advice. The attachment said that I'm not allowed to uplaod this file type.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Baron View Post
    I read about Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and the review said it was weak.
    Many reviews of MSE are much more positive than the one you saw. I want to second the recommendation that you give MSE a try. Like you, I was very skeptical of any MS-developed security software. However, I decided to give it a try on my Windows 7 netbook after reading some good things about it and after I had to uninstall Avast 5 (early versions caused problems for many people, including me). To my surprise, MSE has performed very well and is light on resources. Even though Avast is reported to have ironed out most of the bugs that made me drop it, I'm happy enough with MSE that I don't think I'll switch back, at least not right now.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally said what the heck and used the corruped liasence file and ariva 10 installed. If you want avery very good free antivius try this. I'm very sorry for wasting everyones time but I got two responses faster than any other forum and THANKS this si the place to go.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    next time I''ll use spell check again sorry people. I must have the attention of a flea never saw any of these mistakes. " by the way this is a graet forum I'm so glad I get windows secrets"

Thanks
    That's fine Howard, and welcome to Windows Secrets forum.

If you ever decide to try something new, MSE has gotten mostly rave reviews in these forums and most of the testing sites rank it very high. The other positive as mentioned previously is that it has a strong AV and a very good AM. Both run quietly in the background without consuming a large amount of resources. Good luck and welcome again. Don't worry about the spell check. Many of us edit our posts because of improper spelling or grammer.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy