5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can someone tell me where I can find the file that Internet Explorer keeps my favourites/bookmarks. I want to back it up and potentially restore it. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and Internet Explorer 8 on both a desktop and a laptop, although I don't think that should make a difference (does it?). Thanks.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Display the menu toolbar. Select File and then Import and Export. Follow the prompts to export your Favorites.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe's way would be best in this scenario but if you are looking for the location in particular on Windows 7 it would be located here:

Code:
    C:\Users\<user>\Favorites
    i.e. C:\Users\Ron M\Favorites

Unless you have non-standard circumstances such as multiple operating systems on the same PC/laptop e.t.c.

Thanks
    Ron,

As a side note, to quickly gain access to the favorites and most other data (Documents, music, pictures, etc) just create a shortcut to the Users/UserName folder directly onto your desktop. In Windows Explorer, right click on this folder and select Create Shortcut. Windows will politely tell you it can't create a shortcut here, would you like it placed on your desktop? Select Yes, and there it is, very easy, quick access to all you important information.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I was able to find them and I will see that they get backed up on a regular basis now. Ted, I like that idea of a shortcut - will definitely look into that. I will make things a whole loet easier in the future.

Regards,

Ron M

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    Thanks guys. I was able to find them and I will see that they get backed up on a regular basis now. Ted, I like that idea of a shortcut - will definitely look into that. I will make things a whole loet easier in the future.

Regards,

Ron M
    Ron, I'd like to add another tip you may find useful. I created a short directly on the desktop (NEW|Shortcut) and browsed to my User|Favorites folder. I named the shortcut "Favorites Folder" and moved it to my Favorites Menu on the Start Menu. Whenever I access my Favorites Menu, I have 1 click access to the actual Favorites Folders.

I don't need to backup my Favorites, but I regularly access the Folder and sub-folders using the shortcut because it is much easier to MANAGE your Favorites using Win Explorer. I have extensive lists of favorites that need frequent purging and organizing. The tools within IE to manage the lists are too cumbersome.

One caveat: Once you've rearranged and sorted your favorites in Win Explorer, you must go directly to your Start Menu Favorites and sort them again. The Start Menu (XP for sure) maintains the sort you specify regardless of the sort in the actual folder. Hope you find this useful.

--RonR