2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to run Vista 64-bit as my main computing environment, but be able to switch instantly (without re-boot) to XP because I have old hardware and applications that I want to be able to use. Does anyone offer such a thing? any experience with reliability? and with the amount of the computing resources that it gobbles up?
    Thanks for any advice
    Bob Chapman

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you get the Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise versions, then you can run XP Mode which is a copy of XP Professional running within a Virtual PC. There is no extra charge for this. I have found that almost everything that I ran under XP works in this environment.

You can also install some other virtual machine software, such as VirtualBox or VMWare Server (both are free) and install XP into there. But for this you need an XP product key. I use VMWare Server with an XP client and it I can run everything I ran with XP, including the one thing that doesn't work in XP Mode.

You don't want to try any of this unless you have at least 2GB RAM (that is what I have on the laptop where XP Mode is installed) or more. I have another laptop with 4GB RAM running VMWare, and my desktop has 8GB running VMWare.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    If you get the Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise versions, then you can run XP Mode which is a copy of XP Professional running within a Virtual PC. There is no extra charge for this. I have found that almost everything that I ran under XP works in this environment.
    XP mode is for Window 7. The OP was asking about Vista & XP. He'll have to use a VM product such as those you mentioned.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I would make a suggestion that may or may not work for you. If you have not acquired Vista yet, you may want to consider going for Win 7 instead. This will then give you the XP Mode option.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Win 7 sounds like the best bet for me.
    Bob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    The OP was asking about Vista & XP.
    Oops, I completely missed that, sorry for the confusion.