New Lounger
    Thanks
    After any restart, usually after a program/windows update install, my PC hangs for about 10 minutes before Windows loads & then for a further 2 or so minutes before the welcome jingle.
    Can anyone kindly suggest how I troubleshoot this issue
    Thanks
    Alan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can use a tool such as Autoruns for Windows (see the Logon tab) or WhatInStartup - Disable/delete programs at Windows startup to view and selectively disable programs that start when you boot the system.

Also, check for network resources such as shared drives or web sites that may be unavailable but are set to be autoamtically reconnected or accessed at boot time. Look for any other external devices such as flash drives or disk dirves that are not available but might be referenced at boot time.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have downloaded & used Autoruns for Windows & it shows the usual Microsoft stuff loading + my own startup programs which I have tried to keep to a minimum. It did strike me that the longest hang, 10 minutes, is before Windows loads, though. Perhaps my Western Digital external HD is the culprit?
    Thanks
    Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A Brown View Post
    It did strike me that the longest hang, 10 minutes, is before Windows loads, though. Perhaps my Western Digital external HD is the culprit?
    It sounds as though it could be the USB device hanging the BIOS boot-up when it goes through the usual auto-detections.

Definitely unplug any non essential devices to help troubleshoot the issue. As Joe has mentioned above, USB hard disks and flash memory sticks. If you then diagnose a device to be causing the issue could you give us some information about it.

Such as device type / brand / model. Also include your PC mainboard (motherboard) brand/model if you can identify it.

Thanks
    Is there a reason the Ext HD has to be plugged in during boot? Unplugging the USB Ext HD prior to boot would be an easy T/S for your problem. Trying to figure out why the Ext HD is causing this problem might be a much more difficult problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Alan has not yet confirmed if the USB Hard Disk is the culprit yet but it could well be some of the following:

- BIOS glitch which an update may fix
    - BIOS is attempting to boot from from the device
    - Signs of a faulty hard disk and or USB controller in the enclosed unit.

The issue is during a reboot so I would assume the same issue from a cold start?

I'd say it would be a matter of convenience leaving the device plugged in. I'll leave this be until we see what Alan has to say

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Josh, Ted & Joe
    I unplugged the external HD (power cable not the USB cable) & restarted. Everything booted & loaded like a dream. I guess that I can simply plug in the device when needed or would anyone suggest using the device with its eSATA connection instead? The device is a WD10000H1CS-00 external HD with USB 2.0 Firewire 400 & eSATA & my motherboard is an Asus P6T Deluxe, CPU i7 2.8 & running Windows Vista.
    Alan

Administrator
    Thanks
    I unplugged the external HD (power cable not the USB cable) & restarted. Everything booted & loaded like a dream. I guess that I can simply plug in the device when needed or would anyone suggest using the device with its eSATA connection instead? The device is a WD10000H1CS-00 external HD with USB 2.0 Firewire 400 & eSATA & my motherboard is an Asus P6T Deluxe, CPU i7 2.8 & running Windows Vista.
    Check for a BIOS at Asus. You might also check for a firmware update at Western Digital. Do you have Vista SP-2 installed? Is the OS up-to-date with patches/hotifxes?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe
    I'll look at BIOS updates & look for a firmware update for the WD. I have Vista SP-2 installed & I keep the OS up-to-date.
    Alan

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'll look at BIOS updates & look for a firmware update for the WD. I have Vista SP-2 installed & I keep the OS up-to-date.
    Also, check the physical connections. Can you try a different USB cable?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    - BIOS is attempting to boot from from the device
    Check the BIOS boot priority to make sure it is not set to boot from removable/USB devices before hard disk.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for advice. I've been into the BIOS and there is no sign of a boot from removeable/USB devices. The settings show 1. Floppy Drive 2. HDD 3. CD ROM. I'm puzzled by the Floppy Drive entry as there isn't one on my machine. All entries are in parenthesis & I haven't been able to grasp the meaning of 'a device enclosed in parenthesis has been disabled in the corresponding type menu'. There are many queries about this doing a Google search but no clear definition nor solution to altering the boot sequence. Any ideas would be appreciated. In the meantime, now that my external HD is unplugged, closing down & booting up has never been faster. Many thanks for that
    Alan

Thanks
    Most bios's will alow you to highlight the boot device and use the up/down arrows on the keyboard to move them into first, second, third boot positions, etc.
    You would thereby move, say the floppy drive, which you don't have, to the last position, or disable it altogether. There are some considerable variation between bios manufacturers and boards. Many of your power boards will have a gazillion options to play around with while your typical Dell or HP may not.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint,
    I managed to change the boot order but when one was changed the rest changed to. There was no disable available. The best I ended up with was 1. CD ROM 2. Floppy (which does not exist) & 3. HDD. After saving the changes the system booted up fine so I guess all is well. Perhaps this is normal on Asus P6T Deluxe boards?
    Alan