New Lounger
    Thanks
    hi, first time poster here - i was advised to post this here by someone at annoyances.org forum.

i'm having a problem where every approx third time i use outlook 2007 i get
    the following error after i quit it:

==================================
    microsoft visual c++ runtime library error
    Runtime Error!
    Program C:\prog...
    This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    please contact the the applications support team for more information.
    ==================================

event viewer shows that this is the anti spam toolbar as faulting application.
    i also get a uac requesting permision for same toolbar every time i quit outlook.

i have contacted trend micro support who have told me that this is a
    microsoft problem and i should contact them - i'm not convinced about this
    hence this post.

when i disable uac neither problem occurs. i have vista hp 32 bit and
    have also another pc with windows 7 ultimate with exact same problem.

any advice to fix this problem would be much appreciated. i don't want to disable the feature as i need to filter spam mail.

thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Why not disable the toolbar? Is the toolbar really required for the spam filter functionality to work?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex calogero View Post
    when i disable uac neither problem occurs. i have vista hp 32 bit and have also another pc with windows 7 ultimate with exact same problem.
    Can you reinstall or run the toolbar in a manner that bypasses UAC, i.e., install it as or run it as Administrator? (I use XP, so I don't know the procedures.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Why not disable the toolbar? Is the toolbar really required for the spam filter functionality to work?

Joe
    yes it is if you want to be able to filter spam.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Can you reinstall or run the toolbar in a manner that bypasses UAC, i.e., install it as or run it as Administrator? (I use XP, so I don't know the procedures.)
    i think that would resolve the issue, but i've searched to find a way for uac to allow a specific item without success. also looked at security and permisions of files concerned but not sure.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex calogero View Post
    i think that would resolve the issue, but i've searched to find a way for uac to allow a specific item without success. also looked at security and permisions of files concerned but not sure.
    UAC does not allow any item level specificity. It appears that when you shutdown Outlook the Trend Micro toolbar is modifying a file in a system protected folder. This appears to be a Trend problem not a Microsoft problem. Don't let Trend off the hook. Make them explain why it is a Microsoft problem.

When you installed the Trend product did you run the installer as administrator?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    UAC does not allow any item level specificity. It appears that when you shutdown Outlook the Trend Micro toolbar is modifying a file in a system protected folder. This appears to be a Trend problem not a Microsoft problem. Don't let Trend off the hook. Make them explain why it is a Microsoft problem.

When you installed the Trend product did you run the installer as administrator?

Joe
    hi joe, fully agree with your detailed explanation of what is causing the problem,

trend said that this is microsoft problem because it's a 'microsoft visual c++ runtime library error' but i emailed them back explaining that this problem did not exist till i installed their product, i'm still waiting for trend support to reply but i can't help but feel that they're either not interested or incapable of fixing the problem.

yes i did run intall file as adminitrator. i'll keep you advised of any developments.