Lounger
    Thanks
    Some program is not permitting my computer to invoke the Power Options I specify in the Control Panel power section. I've tried several variations. In particular, I have the screen set to turn off after 10 minutes of idle computer and it does not. I'm using a Gateway machine with Windows Home XP SP3, 1.5 GB RAM, Intel Celeron 3.2GHz Processor. I'd like to know if there is a simple way of troubleshooting this problem rather than trying to turn programs on or off one at a time.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you happen to have a media player running? If you do it may prevent power management from doing its thing. Also Gateway may have installed a power management program and the easiest way to check is hover over the icons in the Notification Area and look for it then adjust the settings in it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If this is a relatively new problem then it is most likely a recently added/updated program or hardware.

If it is not a new problem then you may have to resort to disabling programs one at a time.

There are several programs that are know to interfere with the screen saver functionality on some systems:

Ehtray.exe (part of Windows XP Media Center)
    DVDLauncher.exe (part of Cyberlink PowerCinema)
    PowerDVD.exe (part of Cyberlink PowerDVD)
    PCMService.exe (part of Dell Tools)
    Dell Media Experience

Also, be aware that if you synch to a smart phone or automatically backup files those or similar functions can also interefere with a screen saver.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If the screen saver is not turning on, it could be that the screen saver settings in the registry aren't being updated. I recently had a user who had disabled the screen saver on his PC, but it continued to kick in after 10 minutes. Changing the time setting had no effect. I did a search and found other people reported having the same problem. One user provided the registry entry that had to be changed. But that's a temporary fix. You might want to consider a repair install of XP. If that doesn't work, you will either have to modify the registry to change the setting or reinstall XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows User View Post
    Some program is not permitting my computer to invoke the Power Options I specify in the Control Panel power section. I've tried several variations. In particular, I have the screen set to turn off after 10 minutes of idle computer and it does not. I'm using a Gateway machine with Windows Home XP SP3, 1.5 GB RAM, Intel Celeron 3.2GHz Processor. I'd like to know if there is a simple way of troubleshooting this problem rather than trying to turn programs on or off one at a time.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've always had this problem and the cause for me is the motherboard. Just because the operating system says you can do something doesn't mean the motherboard is designed to cooperate. A work around solution for me is to use the manual Stand By function (Start > Turn Off Computer > Stand By). If I don't think I'll use my computer for 30 minutes, or more, I just manually put the whole computer system on stand by.

If this is a new problem that hasn't existed since you bought the computer, then try defragging the hard drive. I've noticed that after installing a new software application, the screen saver stops working properly, and defragging the hard drive usually solves that problem, so it may have a similar effect on your power options issue.