New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all

We have many Group Policy Objects (GPOs) within our Active Directory infrastructure. For testing purposes, we copy existing GPOs, link them to different O.U.s and change the Admin Templates (ADM files).

We have a GPO that includes the inetres.adm for IE8, we have fully configured it to our needs (disabled InPrivate Browsing etc...). However, when we copy the GPO and remove all other ADM files except inetres.adm, we still see all of the the settings from the previously attached ADM files. Also, if we create a new GPO from scratch, remove all default ADM files and then add our customised inetres.adm file, there are no settings defined at all!

We have tried this on an XP SP2 machine with IE, an XP SP3 machine with IE8 and a Windows 2003 server with IE7.

How can we copy our customised ADM files from one GPO to another please?

Thanks
    Scott

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The settings are contained in a settings file, the ADM is only used when creating/editing the settings.
    It may be best to create a GPO that only has IE8 settings and then applying that at the appropriate OU.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What settings file? I found admfiles.ini next to inetres.adm in the SYSVOL share, the contents of which are:-

[FileList]
    system.adm=1
    inetres.adm=1
    conf.adm=1
    wmplayer.adm=1
    wuau.adm=1

I have changed the contents / deleted all but inetres.adm but still no joy.

You advise to create a GPO with just the IE8 settings but I don't have time to configure the individual settings again. I was hoping we could just copy the modified inetres.adm to a new GPO.

What is our next best move please?

Cheers
    Scott

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A GPO command file is effectively a bunch of registry settings taken from an ADM file or files. These command files live in a directory with the same name as the GUID of the GPO under sysvol.
    Happy hunting.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought the GPO command files may live in C:\System Volume Information\ but there's no folders with the same GUIDs and there appears to be no ADM-related files in there anyway.

Any clues please?

Regards
    Scott

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    SYSVOL\domain\policies\GUID - I think.

cheers, Paul