Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Please HELP!!! My PC is in a loop of sorts....

I tried to "recover" Wndows from the original CD (Dell Dimension 8400 CD for Win XP2 SP2) by pressing "R" after the Win Setup CD recognized that I had a previous Windows installation. Then during the Windows Installation step (i.e., "39 minutes to complete" ) after copying a bunch of the system files, I received the "DIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD. After rebooting, the "installation" program autoruns, and I end up with the same BSOD - repeated at least 3 times.

Is there a way that I can "fix" this issue without totally re-installing Windows? If I reinstall Windows, will I have to reformat my hard drive?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thank you!
    Don Liebman
    San Diego, CA 92115

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Could you post the STOP code you receive with the BSOD? It should start with a 0x and there are 4 groups of numbers/letters.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The message was:

STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x0000001C, 0x00000000, 0x804FAC65)
    Don Liebman
    San Diego, CA 92115

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if this is of any help, but the reason that I got into this mess was that the Windows Installer was not working. Any new updates from Microsoft, and some from other venders that use the installer, stopped working. I was assuming that it (i.e., Windows Instraller) had gotten corrupted, and was trying to see if I could "recover" when this started happening.
    Don Liebman
    San Diego, CA 92115

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try the following: http://www.lancelhoff.com/stop-0x0000000a-error/ and/or http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q314063. It sounds like a hardware or system protection software (anti-virus, etc) issue.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I'm not sure if this is of any help, but the reason that I got into this mess was that the Windows Installer was not working. Any new updates from Microsoft, and some from other venders that use the installer, stopped working. I was assuming that it (i.e., Windows Instraller) had gotten corrupted, and was trying to see if I could "recover" when this started happening.
    Hi DonL,

Whatever else is going on, apparently Windows Installer is either damaged as you said, or it is not properly registered. Take a look at this Microsoft Link for instructions on repairing and/or registering Windows Installer.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the installer http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...isplaylang=en?

Thanks
    DonL, have you looked at this thread here in the XP forum posted with the same error message as yours? It turned out to be the video driver in this one.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I get into Windows to even try to execute these instructions? Windows Setup keeps executing before I can do anything. I tried using F8, and it didn't do anything.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
    Don Liebman
    San Diego, CA 92115

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - I apologize, but I got the original error incorrect. I should have listed IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (without the word DRIVER in front) as the original error.

I don't see any way around doing the reinstall for Windows at this point, since I don't know how to get to a cmd prompt.

Are there any issues reinstalling Windows back to XP SP2?
    Don Liebman
    San Diego, CA 92115

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    How do I get into Windows to even try to execute these instructions? Windows Setup keeps executing before I can do anything. I tried using F8, and it didn't do anything.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
    I gather you are not able to get into Windows at all to access the CMD screen from the start menu.

How did you try to use F8? As soon as you start your computer, you have to start tapping F8 repeatedly in order for it to respond. It is sometimes aggravating. If you tap only once or twice, you may never access the boot options you need.

If you still cannot get F8 to bring the screen up, then you can try to do an XP repair install. A repair install is feasible since you possess an XP CD w/SP2. Be sure to backup your user files as a precaution before beginning the repair install.

If a repair install does not do the trick then you can do a full reinstall. Remember to backup all your user files and gather your install CD/DVDs and keys for your software, which will have to be reinstalled if you do a full reinstall.

You can go to this link for instructions on doing an XP repair install.
    Deadeye81

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did finally catch F8 at the right time. It didn't help, because no matter what option I chose, Windows Setup was the next process to be executed. There was no menu option after F8 to go to a command line.

I've spent most of the day trying to backup the data off of the hard drive. When I attached it (SATA) to my Vista PC, I've had issues with permissions, as using the copy command in Windows did not copy most of the files that I wanted (hidden stuff - e.g., Outlook PSTs). So, now I am going one-by-one granting permissions so that I can copy the missed stuff. I know now that I must be doing this the hard way, and had it much easier the last time I needed to reinstall, when both of my PCs were XP.

If you have any suggestions or links to sites that address the permissions issues when copying files between different systems, I would still be interested, as this is going soooo slooooowwwww.

Thank you!
    Don Liebman
    San Diego, CA 92115