New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm building a new media center system to store and show my movies. I am starting with a 1.5 Gb HD, and am wondering how I might partition the drive before installing Win 7 64 bit. Many of the partition managers don't work for 64bit OSs, and it would have to be something bootable. Since this is a new build, there will be no other OS loaded to boot to. Anybody already walked down this road?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    As part of a clean install you can partition the HD. Set the OS partition size to whatever you want. Then once Windows 7 is installed use Disk Manangement to set one or more partitions in the unassigned remainder.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    You have 2 options.

1) During your original installation you will be given the option to partition your Hd. I would choose a more manageable size for the Win 7 partition, somewhere around 30 GB. This will give you enough space for apps, etc, with a large partition for your movies. Afterward the built in Win 7 Disk Manager (In Computer Management) will assist in making the unused space active for use. You could also use a 3rd party free app such as Partition Wizard to do the job.

2) After installing Win 7 you can then decrease the size of your Win 7 partition to a more manageable size such as 30 GB then create as many partitions as you like.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Take a look at this link. I use this partition manager several times and have not been disappointed.
    Easeus Partition Manager

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. This is exactily the information I was looking for. The UPS guy delivered all the parts yesterday, so I'm anxious to get started with the build.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tim,

Try "Partition Wizard" at: http://www.partitionwizard.com/ . I've used it on Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. I've used Easeuse but I like Partition Wizard better. It works on 32 bit, 64 bit, NTFS, or FAT 32. It will work installed on a system, or can be built to boot from a live CD, and best of all it's FREE!

Regards,
    Bob Peterson
    Eagan, Mn.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the 'How to' answers in this thread, as they helped me with certain of my own struggles. I must say that like Partition Wizard: it has a pretty (inter) face, some excellent features, and the only advice I can suggest is that it be run from the bootable CD as an added safety measure.