Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My OS is Win7 Professional 32 bit.

I use Windows Mail, having adopted the workaround described in various tech forums, and had no problems with it until I installed update KB978542. When I restarted my computer after installing the update I could not get Windows Mail to work. I tried System Restore to a point before the update was installed and Windows Mail then worked again.In case this was a temporary glitch I reinstalled the update, but Windows Mail crashed again, and I had to use System Restore again to get it to work. Apart from System Restore, I also tried to recover Windows Mail from a backup created with Acronis True Image Home 2010, but that failed because "the User Profile could not be found".

I am concerned about not reinstalling the Windows Update, but at the same time do not want to lose my emails.

Any help you can give me to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy Whitethread
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    MS may have a problem with KB978542. That particular update won't install on any of my Windows 7 machines. I even downloaded the self-install file from MS, but it still fails installation.

I would just be patient, and perhaps they will get it sorted out and re-issue it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Hi Roy, and Welcome to the Lounge!

I would wait as bbearren suggested. The update installed on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit today, but I do not use Windows Mail, and there may be an issue with the 32 bit version of the patch.

Maybe Susan Bradley will have some info on this patch tomorrow in her Patch Watch in the Windows Secrets Newsletter.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I do use Windows Live mail with 64 Bit Win 7 Ultimate laptop and another with 64 Bit HP version. This update installed and both mails works perfectly. I concur that it is probably a 32 Bit only problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    MS may have a problem with KB978542. That particular update won't install on any of my Windows 7 machines. I even downloaded the self-install file from MS, but it still fails installation.

I would just be patient, and perhaps they will get it sorted out and re-issue it.
    What's the error message you get?

And yes there will a story about this tomorrow as yes Windows mail (not Live mail) gets a little mangled in the process of updating.

Thanks
    Sorry I misread Windows Mail as Windows Live mail. Two seperate entities.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Bradley View Post
    What's the error message you get?

And yes there will a story about this tomorrow as yes Windows mail (not Live mail) gets a little mangled in the process of updating.

The error message I get is "WindowsUpdate_80070011".
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Roy, Susan Bradley in today's Patch Watch addresses the update issue for users of Windows Mail in Windows 7. The following is quoted from her section on the patch:

"If you have adjusted Windows 7 to run Windows Mail (as described by the hack in a TechSpot forum), you'll find that Windows Mail no longer works after the installation of patch 978542. To get your e-mail client working again, launch Vista (if you have it) on another PC, update it with the patch, and copy msoe.dll from Vista to Win7."

If you have a machine that runs Vista or a friend that does, this will hopefully remedy the situation.

bbearren, are you using Windows Mail also? I found this fix that worked for another person who received the same error (80070011) when trying another Windows Update patch. It is a different patch, but apparently he junctioned his Program Files directory to another hard drive. Since you have been doing some interesting things in your installations, I thought it might be relevant.

Here is another that refers to the same error involving Vista Ultimate and relates to moving folders to unexpected locations. Maybe one of these will help you resolve your situation.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    bbearren, are you using Windows Mail also? I found this fix that worked for another person who received the same error (80070011) when trying another Windows Update patch. It is a different patch, but apparently he junctioned his Program Files directory to another hard drive. Since you have been doing some interesting things in your installations, I thought it might be relevant.
    No, Gerald, I don't use Windows Mail. And I also got the installation failure on a machine that has a standard Windows 7 installation. My ISP provides an excellent mail client that I use, so I'm not really concerned about this particular patch. If enough folks are having problems with it, MS may revise and reissue. I'll probably give that work-around a go just for future reference, though. Thanks.

Unleash Windows

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the fast help, which I greatly appreciate.

I have asked a friend to send me a copy of msoe.dll from a Vista machine which has been updated with the patch, but after I get it and replace my existing msoe.dll with the Vista patched version is it OK for me to then install the Microsoft patch?

Thanks in anticipation of your further advice.

Regards,
    Roy Whitethread
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Whitethread View Post
    I have asked a friend to send me a copy of msoe.dll from a Vista machine which has been updated with the patch, but after I get it and replace my existing msoe.dll with the Vista patched version is it OK for me to then install the Microsoft patch?
    First, be sure your friend is sending a copy of msoe.dll from a 32 bit install of Vista and not 64 bit (this may or may not be an issue; it could be that the msoe.dll is 32 bit regardless of the "bittedness" of the OS.

It appears the goal of the 978542 patch is to fix vulnerability in Windows Mail and Outlook Express. Check out MS10-030: Vulnerability in Outlook Express and Windows Mail could allow remote code execution in the Microsoft Support Knowledge Base . If the msoe.dll your friend is sending has already had this patch applied, you should not have to apply it again. Hopefully Windows Update will not offer the patch to you again. But if it is does, you can hide it so it does not continually badger you.

I think you are okay by just replacing your msoe.dll with the patched Vista version as Susan Bradley recommended. If anyone can confirm the need to apply the patch again, then you can unhide it and allow it to install.
    Deadeye81