Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

OpenOffice: a proper replacement for Office?

I'm considering whether to replace Microsoft Office with OpenOffice - the high price of the whole Office package is way to much for me. My main uses of Office are Word and Powerpoint, mostly word, and before I make the switch I wanted to know if OpenOffice supports all forms of Word and Powerpoint documents and Presentations without any problems or incompatibilities.

On a broader scope - What do you think about OpenOffice in general, and compared to Office? Is it indeed a proper replacement?

TIA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    It does not support all Word & Powerpoint functionality. Many reviews I've seen say it would be like going back to Office 97. The biggest problem you have with this & Google docs is if you import/convert an Office file that contains something not supported and subsequently export/convert back to an Office format you lose the functionality that was not supported.

However, I've also seen many comments saying that people use it every day and don't miss Office at all.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rfe777 View Post
    ... before I make the switch I wanted to know if OpenOffice supports all forms of Word and Powerpoint documents and Presentations without any problems or incompatibilities.
    No one offers 100% forward, backward, and third party compatibility, even Microsoft.

If you have $60, you also could consider the suite discussed in this thread: [topic=768690]Ashampoo Office[/topic].

Thanks
    I suggest that you Download Open Office and try it. It will cost you nothing but a little time. You may even consider installing it in parallel with 2 - 3 Office users and have them evaluate it using real documents. If you do, please report back your findings.

BTW, I quit using MS Office with 2003 and have been using Open Office for about a year, no one that I communicate with has ever noticed. I make sure that all documents going to others are in either an MS Office format or .pdf. This is another benefit of using Open Office, it can 'Export' any document to pdf and there is an add-on that lets me open and edit 'most' .pdf files.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm looking for an Office 2007 subsitute.
    In WSN issue 304 Woody Lenard said "The iPad doesn't do Office, and none of the alternative applications comes close to Office's capabilities. Sorry, but Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents usually get hashed when edited in any of the Microsoft Office alternatives. (Of course, the same can be said for Office Web Apps, Microsoft's own online version of Office.)".
    Is this still true since OpenOffice is now LibO?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    IMHO it all depends on how many of the more advanced Word & PP features you are using and if you are using VBA to automate tasks. If you use VBA, as they say in Jersey, forgetaboutit! If you're using the mainstream features of Word and PP I think you'll be amazed at how well Open Office {Libre Office, new name} handles the conversions. I only play around w/OO since I'm heavily into VBA in Excel & Access but I've been pleasantly surprised at the test conversions I've done on some semi-complex documents. As RussB said give it a try you don't have much to loose!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you qualify, the best deal by far is WordPerfect Home and Student Office X5, which I have seen on sale at Staples for half-price ($50) from time to time. 'Home and Student' covers a lot of territory, and I think the EULA allows either without requiring both, so long as you are not using it to earn income. "Home & Student Edition is the essential office suite for home PC users and students" is the wording used in the advertisement. Believe it or not, you qualify for an upgrade price on the two 'full price' versions of WordPerfect if you have MS Office XP or later. Many private vendors sell for less, but it may turn out to be an OEM version or something.

I suggest you visit Corel online for details and download a trial version of the WordPerfect Suite to get the hang of it, but if you qualify for Home and Student, buy that after the trial. For all practical purposes, all of it is convertible to MS Office format. Even if you buy the full WordPerfect Office Suite, it is less expensive than MS Office, and it is still a business standard in many offices.

One additional note is that I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a new version sometime 'relatively' soon, as they tend to introduce new versions before MS Office.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2011-11-04 at 19:08. Reason: Added data

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I dont know what VBA is but I would like to download and edit HTML pages.
    Is that possible with OO? (LO)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raylon View Post
    Is that possible with OO? (LO)
    There is nothing special about editing HTML it's just a clear text file. I'd recommend Arachnophobia which is a Free HTML editor which will color code your tags and provides other helpful features.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by raylon View Post
    VBA = Visual Basic for Applications, which is the macro language in Office 97 - 2010. Because VBA doesn't run in web browsers, you don't need to worry about VBA support for creating HTML pages.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was pleased that SOMEBODY recommends WordPerfect. I find it SO much easier to use than Word - the Reveal Codes screen rocks!

I bought WPO X3 several years ago and it does everything I need - no reason to upgrade to X5. File format unchanged since WPDOS and WPWIN 6.

BTW I also have Office XP Professional on the same computer. It was included in a system I bought years ago and I have installed it on my current system - the original one died. I use Word for quick simple projects and Excel for my spreadsheets. Again, this version does everything I need and includes Access.

Thanks
    Really you should be looking at LibreOffice, which is where many/most of the Open Office developers went when they got cheesed off with the way Sun was running things. Open Office is now essentially a backwater.

Compatibility with (Microsoft) Office? Word, quite good; Powerpoint, maybe not so good. As always, YMMV...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks

WordPerfect!

No, it's not free (just affordable), but WordPerfect Office X5 reads and writes even the current MS Office files - and, unlike Word, WP does what it's told to do.

Not only is Word far less flexible than WP, it doesn't even do what it says it can - try setting up something as simple and standard as small roman numeral front matter and normal arabic numeral body page numbering - at least half the time Word ignores the separate sections created following Word's instructions, and insists on using, for the whole document, whichever section's numbering style you added last.

I helped my fiancee format her masters thesis, which had strict formatting requirements for the front matter that Word couldn't even claim to meet - I ended up creating the front matter in WP, printed PDFs of each section out of the two word processors, and then joined them in Acrobat!
    Last edited by Philnick; 2011-11-18 at 13:00.

Lounger
    Thanks
    More than 20 years ago I started out using the wonderful Word Perfect which eventually refused to work with Windows. I still have the 5.25 discs. Since then unfortunately MS Office has ruled the roost. Having said that I currently run on my PC and my Laptop - MS Office 97, MS Office 2010 and Open Office. For most of what I do I find I regularly switch around between each product. Office 2010 is good but I'm constantly dropping back to Office 97 to find what I can't find in the later product. But I also use OO regularly as an alternative to the MS products, especially when dealing with PDF files and I find that just as good.

So I guess I'm saying that each has it's advantages but the biggest advantage for OO is that it's so much cheaper. Go for it. It's fully compatible with MS documents an very user friendly. (I haven't tried Libre).

This user has been Banned
    Thanks

OOo, LO, WP

The Open/Libre twins do something really cool: you can install the PDF extension (simple) and open, edit, and write PDFs. And of course you can write to HTML but you get cleaner code with Komposer. I'm in a small office running Ubuntu and I've been able to work with everything anybody else sends me - powerpoint, excel, docs. Of course we probably don't use a tenth of the capabilities of any of them. I really like WP and used that for years, but being "frugal" I tried OO when it came out and the rest is history. Well, Microsoft is history on my machines anyhow. Although right now I think Ubuntu has jumped the shark and LinuxMint is the new winner. Mint 12 is 50% better than Windows 8, in my opinion (the math backs me up!). So, try Libre Office, you might like it and the price is right. Takes getting used to, but so does the Word "ribbon".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast