Thread: KB974417

Lounger
    Thanks

Angry

Hi All,

When getting updates this Tuesday, KB974417 would not install and threw an 0x66A error. The supposed fix was to uninstall KB976569, reboot, install KB974417 and reboot, then install KB976569 again. While 974417 runs thru it's install and claims to be successful, it never shows up as far as Windows Update or Add & Remove programs is concerned.
    There was another option to run the .NET clean tool and then install each update in the correct order. This worked great, but the clean tool has a dark side...Nero installation was completely hosed and no amount of clean installs would bring it back to life. So, with an image file from April, I am up and back to where I was...and yes, that cuddly KB974417 is right here as well! Any guidance on a manual uninstall of NET items and correct reinstall order? Also, what damage might I expect from a manual removal to software that relys on NET? Will uninstalling and re-installing the updates mess with any currently installed software?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Update! I decided to uninstall all 3 (in my case) KB updates under the NET 2.0 group in Add/Remove programs. After doing so and rebooting, I went to Windows Update and was offered the Family Pack service pack update. Installed that and was up to date! I am guessing that this included the functions of the pesky KB974417, as since it is not installed, Windows update no longer says I need it.