Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Here , for those of us who need it, is an article from the How-To Geek called Zen and the Art of File and Folder Organization

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for this very useful tip.

Thanks
    Good article.
    With a well organized file system who needs a search function. Just one more resource that can be disabled.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Good article.
    With a well organized file system who needs a search function. Just one more resource that can be disabled.

In Win 7 the search fucntion does much more than search for a file. It is literally a shortcut to apps. Even with a very organized file system, it can take a while to drill down to the file you are actually looking for since you could have a large amount of data stored in a myriad of folders. If you know the name of the folder within which the file resides, you can use the search function to drill to that folder more quickly. I would not disable the search function just yet. I believe it could very well be a time saver.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    In Win 7 the search fucntion does much more than search for a file. It is literally a shortcut to apps. Even with a very organized file system, it can take a while to drill down to the file you are actually looking for since you could have a large amount of data stored in a myriad of folders. If you know the name of the folder within which the file resides, you can use the search function to drill to that folder more quickly. I would not disable the search function just yet. I believe it could very well be a time saver.
    FWIW - On XP I use a launcher called FARR (find and run robot) that does the same thing - an 'on the fly' scan of files and folders as you type the name in.
    This sounds like the feature built in to W7 - and for me it is *much* faster than clicking through a folder tree if i have to go more than one or two levels.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's a pretty good article. Except for creating short cuts and avoiding long file names, I've been doing most of what's suggested there since the dawn of time. Shortcuts can get confusing in themselves. The less the better I say. Tip #39 pretty much eliminates the need to have shortcuts for each sub directory. I use the following command in my Explorer shortcut to open to the desired folder: C:\Windows\explorer.exe /select, C:\Data\ . And long file names are there for a reason. If you organize your data directory properly (pretty much as suggested), long file names are never an issue. Doing things this way makes it very easy to protect my data (backups), and easy to move to a new machine without jumping through a lot of hoops.
    Chuck