New Lounger
    Thanks
    When last I wrote I was mislead by standard Microsoft tech support from the Philippines into believing my problem with shrinking hard drive space (about 5 gigs a week) was caused by the differencing default options for the virtual hard drives space allotment in Virtual XP when running Windows 7 Pro. After a long and painful period I was eventually transferred to USA support for Microsoft. The tech I worked with was the best I ever had the pleasure of dealing with bar none. Although he needed several sessions before finding the problem I am glad to say problem solved. It seems Zone Alarm Pro 9.0 by default keeps a log in Windows\InternetLogs called tvDebug. I deleted it several times and it just kept coming back. This is a trouble shooting tool for Zone Alarm techs if you have an issue with their product. If you are running his program this is happening but there is an easy fix which I eventually received from ZA support. Within their response they also stated they “may” fix this in the next update. While pressing Ctrl and Shift right click on the Zone Alarm icon in your tray and magically appears an option called “set debug level”. Choose the off option, shut down ZA, delete the tvDebug file and restart Zone Alarm. Problem solved.

Thanks
    Ron, welcome to the Lounge!

Thanks for posting this today. I am certain your experience will help someone. ZA is widely used and getting a fix documented such as this is a great help.

Hopefully ZA will really fix this issue in the next update.

Thanks again, and hope to see you more in the Lounge!
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    A trick I used when I had ZA installed was to have a 0 (zero) length file named tvdebug.log in a folder on my system. I used an Outlook to periodically remind me to copy it to the InternetLogs folder. I never had a problem with being able to replace the file that was there.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips Ron / JoeP I'll keep this in mind if I come across some poor soul using this software who refuse to move to another product

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you need to find the space hogs you should use TreeSize Free.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    A friend of mine says he had the same "shrinking hard drive" problem with 64-bit Windows 7 on his laptop. After several months, he determined that the shrinkage would reach a certain size (50 GB max.) and then give back the space. This seemed to be an endless cycle, and it looked to him as though it is an inherent property of 64-bit Windows 7. It looks alarming at first, but once it stabilizes, it isn't an accumulating problem. At least it wasn't so for him.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob it does not appear to be an inherent property of 64 bit Windows 7 as I've seen this on the ZA forums.

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?p=269356

As per Ron's original topic advice and the advice given in the ZA topic I would disable it. 50GB log file for ZA is completely ridiculous.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a 500gb hard drive with Win 7 Pro installed and a few apps.

I noticed my drive USED space was increasing even though I wasn't installing
    any software or saving any large files.

I ran WinDirStat and it reported a lower drive used space than windows did.

I asked for assistance on this issue on the Technet website and was told that this was
    an issue with System Restore Points.

You can get this space back by removing old restore points.

Today I did a test. Microsoft Update had 3 updates. Before doing the updates I checked my
    Used space and it was 59gb. I did the updates and after the updates I had 65gb Used.

It appears that the restore points that are being taken during updates is increasing the
    drive Used space for every Update you do. Over time this will consume your hard drive.

When I first noticed this problem my drive Used space was up to 130gb. I used the built in
    driveclean feature of Windows 7 and removed all older restore points and my drive Used
    space went back to 45gb.

Check your restore points and see how many you have.
    Asus H170 Motherboard, 16gb of memory, Intel 6700K cpu, Mac OSX Sierra on Virtual Box and VMware, 4 SSD's.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    Just want to throw this into the mix as well..... Acronis 2010 Non stop backup seems to have a similar problem . When running this feature (non stop backup) some report that a folder is created in system 32 that eventually eats up all of your HD space, so far Acronis has not Fixed this or even been able to replicate the problem being reported. So..... if your running TI 2010 v7046 , this might be your problem. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi;

For those that say it's System Restore:

On Win7 Home Premium:

Control Panel ("Small icons" view}, System, Advanced system settings, System Protection tab:

Disk Space Usage slider regulates how much space Windows reserves for Restore Points.

On the huge disk drives some of us have now (my new Gateway came with a 1TB drive!) the ancient Windows standard of reserving 12% (or is it 15%?) of the disk capacity for system restore IMHO is horrendously stupid overkill.

On my system I have reset the slider to 1% which is 9,82GB which still IMHO is overkill but the 12% seems to have become a venerable MS tradition.

Either way, when this area fills up system restore should only delete the oldest restore point(s) to make room for a new one; that means that the restore area, once full, would hover always somewhere close to but under it's max size. It should never shrink to close to zero size - unless MS clears it out completely to make room for a new restore point. I'm hard pressed to believe that though.

Oops, that's a wee bit long. All I wanted to say is that likely system restore is NOT the culprit here.

On a side note: Why in all the world would any one still use ZA on Win7? That's far beyond me.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

@Eike Heinze, you give me a laugh. I do agree with your 'rambling' though.
    Yes, the restore size at 12% is too much. A fixed physical size is better. However, in terms of marketing to vast varying consumers, a percentage is a preferred method. It always grows with your hard drive. It is a way to not receiving complaints and 'reported problems'.
    Like Heinze, I always limit the restore size to somewhere around 10-15G nowadays, depending on the hard drive size and the user 'daily use behavior'. And I always advise and teach them to do a restore point first before installing anything. I mean anything! This saves them a lot of grief, and keeping the system relatively clean. It takes only about 3 minutes to do a restore point.
    Windows 7 firewall is pretty good. I agree with Windows Secrets advice, no need to use 3rd party firewall. If you do want one, make sure the firewall is easy to uninstall. Some firewall software are hell bent to 'stay', causing great grief. In that, advise (again!) to create a restore point first.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @S Caisson
    Quote Originally Posted by S Caisson View Post
    @Eike Heinze, you give me a laugh. I do agree with your 'rambling' though.
    Well, Thanks for the bouquet.

[quote ]
    And I always advise and teach them to do a restore point first before installing anything.

[/quote]
    "My problem" is that that already is way beyond the capabilities of the vast majority of my customers. So I end up giving them anything between 2GB and 1% of the drive capacity which over years has proven to be quite adequate.

I believe anyway that System Restore is only a last resort type of thing. In five years I had only six or seven computers that were so badly messed up that I needed to re-install the OS (always XP). Most any virus IMHO can be removed without the customer's files even being touched.

[quote ]
    Some firewall software are hell bent to 'stay', ...
    [/quote]
    Autoruns from Sysinternals is my savior in these cases. Kill the drivers and services, reboot and then delete the folders; BINGO.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This was the response from the folks at Microsoft Technet. Although the problem can be controlled by adjusting
    the space reserved for System Restore, System Restore points will increase the amount of disk space used
    dramatically over time if left unmodified on large drives.

I've been monitoring my used space over the past few days since I deleted the oldest restore points.
    When I deleted the old restore points my used space went from 130gb to 45 gb. After a windows
    defender update and another update my used space went to 59gb. Then a day or 2 later after
    applying the 3 latest MS updates, my used space went to 65gb. Since the last updates 2 or 3 days
    ago my used space has stayed at 65gb.

I agree that adjusting the reserved space will keep the used space from growing over time but the actual
    culprit in drive used space growing is system restore points.

I am going to adjust my reserved space till I find a comfortable size that will at least give me the ability to
    have at least 5 restore points as I have used them in the past to restore to a working configuration after
    a bad update or some other situation that caused the machine to belch.

Response from Technet
    Hi

It is common for System Restore to be the culprit in this situation.

1. Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Disk Cleanup.

2. In the drop down menu, select the drive you want to clean up and click OK. The drive will be scanned.

3. In the next window, select the Clean up system files button.

4. Select the drive again and click OK.

5. In the next window, select the More Options Tab. In the System Restore and Shadow Copies section, click the Clean up button and click OK.

6. In the next window, select the Delete Button.

This will remove all of the temporary files and all but the latest System Restore Point.

If this results in the missing drive space returning, you to adjust the space reserved for System Restore. See the following link for a brief tutorial.

How to Change the Disk Space Allotted to System Restore in Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7
    Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Asus H170 Motherboard, 16gb of memory, Intel 6700K cpu, Mac OSX Sierra on Virtual Box and VMware, 4 SSD's.