1. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have two physical drives in my system. The main drive contains three partitions. The CAcer), the EWorking) and a small Unallocated partition. Both C: and E: are called "Primary" and the Unallocated is called "Logical" type.

The second drive has 4 Partitions. G:UserBU, I:CurSysImg, Z:PVR and some Unallocated space. Both G: and I: are Primary types while Z: and the Unallocated partition are described as Logical types.

Everything appears to be working fine including the Z: partition that I use to record TV programs. All are NTFS and the OS is Win 7.

I have Partition Wizard and it indicate the Status of the various drives as follows:
    C: is Active & Boot & System
    I: is Active
    All others have a Status of "None"
    Disk Management in Win 7 indicates much the same.

So, what is the difference between a "Logical" partition and a "Primary" partition and how does one switch from one to the other or even create one or the other?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chet Copeland View Post
    So, what is the difference between a "Logical" partition and a "Primary" partition and how does one switch from one to the other or even create one or the other?
    Basically there are Primary partitions and Extended partitions, and generally a limit of 4 Primary partitions on a physical hard drive in Windows. My preference is to have one small Primary partition and then an Extended partition that takes up the rest of the physical hard drive. Within an Extended partition, you can create logical drives; in fact you can create very many logical drives. But they aren't normally referred to as "logical partitions", but as "logical drives".

The main differences are in the MBR and MFT structures, and the permitted sector locations for marking partition and logical drive boundaries. And that Windows doesn't really like more than 4 Primary partitions.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4. Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Generally primary partitions are for booting your OS and logical partitions are for data storage.
    You can only have 4 primary partitions.
    You need an extended partition in which to create logical partitions.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    This site seens to give a good explanation of Primary, extended and logical partitions. Have a look.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy