Thread: Net gear

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought and installed a net gear wired router RP614 v4 router. Managed to get it up and running. Updated firmware. Searched the internet for best settings and logged into the Admin router and in putted them. Motorola modem virgin media. A few hours searching the internet for making sure that everything is OK. When using it the web sites and pages load slow or not at all or I get timeouts. I have now reverted to not having the router as part of the system and everything is back to normal. Internet running smoothly. Firefox latest download. Have I bought a pig in a poke ( 40 ) or should I persevere and set it up again? Windows XP pro with the service packs all installed and as far as I know - done check - no malware or viruses. In other words I am "confident" my system is running well. TIA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you are changing communications settings you should go to your ISP support site. They should have information on router settings. Use that to get it working first. Back up your settings. Then if you want to try to tweak the router you'll have a good baseline configuration to get back to.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your quick reply. I have just looked at the support site - Virgin Media - and they only seem to have information for wireless set ups. Does it apply to wired routers? I am reluctant to phone them because the support is re directed to India and they - imo - aren't helpful. The accents are difficult to fathom apart from anything else.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Had another look at their help site and it states they won't give help for products you haven't bought from them. Seems strange but then again the wording wasn't - at least to me - clear. I have found some tips elsewhere and I will give them a try.