Thanks
    Has there been any "news" of problems with KIS 2010 and Windows 7? I just completed a complete setup of my machine, and now, for no seeming reason, I get BSODs. Even when leaving it on all night with no activity, it will be OK after, say 3-4 hours, but then in the morning -- BSOD.

I spent some 2-3 days setting everything up without issue. The I installed KIS, and 4 BSODs in two days.

Any idea what this could be or how to fix it? Basically I really like KIS, but I can't deal with this forever.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What are the details of the BSODs?

Have you checked the KIS forums?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Have you tried to disable and/or uninstall KIS? There have been cases where untoward occurrences have been seen with AV products. This would seem to be the first thing to try to isolate the problem. After an uninstall, it is possible that a system restore may also be needed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Joe / Ted:

Joe, I am not at all knowledgeable enough to understand anything that a BSOD would be telling me, so no I didn't save it. Is it stored somewhere that I can pull it up and post it?

Ted, the minute I uninstalled KIS and went over to Comodo, the problem seems to have stopped.

On the one hand, someone could say "Well then, just use Comodo", but KIS is (for the most part) generally a lot easier on resources, and I can't see how I would be the only one with this issue.

AND, there was no problem at all until after I installed Office 2010. And again, that is exactly what happened before with Office 2007.

I hate this kind of thing, for it has to be some darn detail or setting that I'm missing. It's too consistent. And I cannot believe that Microsoft or Kaspersky personnel haven't ever seen or dealt with this. I seen several columnists / writers mention KIS, saying how good it is -- so what the heck could this be?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    To get the BSOD details, right click "Computer" and select Properties. In the left column click on "Advanced System Settings". The legacy "System Properties" applet should start with the "Advanced" tab selected. Click on "Settings" in the "Startup and Recovery" section. Uncheck "Automatically restart" in the "System recovery" seciton. OK your way out. The next time you get a BSOD the system will halt so you can write down the error code and module information.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Ted, the minute I uninstalled KIS and went over to Comodo, the problem seems to have stopped.

On the one hand, someone could say "Well then, just use Comodo", but KIS is (for the most part) generally a lot easier on resources, and I can't see how I would be the only one with this issue.
    Have you thought about trying the free Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). This free product includes a highly rated Av product and an equally rated AntiMalware product. it is very light on resources and has gotten very good reviews in these forums. This might solve the problems with both products you have already tried.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Let me add my recommendation on another free AV product - Avast! free anti-virus. Very light on system resources, very high detection rate, and also there is a very active support forum should you need it. I had Kaspersky AV 2010 but uninstalled it since, although it has an excellent detection rate, it is VERY heavy on my PC, and many programs had problems running properly that where finally solved after I uninstalled it.

Thanks
    Guys;

I heard back from KIS...

They say that it isn't MSO ready as yet -- no kidding! Runs fine on Windows 7, but crashes out with Office installed.

I tried Avast at one point and was less than thrilled./ I haven't though really looked at MSE, so maybe I'll give it a look./

Thanks,
    Chuck