New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,

I recently experienced a slowdown in the startup of my laptop. I had spent a long time speeding it up and over night it changed. I have managed to trace the slow down to a particular date using the event viewer in vista, 26/4/10. I spent a while looking through logs to see if there was a log of boot up time. I found that event ID 6013 from the source EventLog contained the startup time.

I then looked at logs from that particular day and found over 600, where the normal from two days before and one day after are at 50. I am trying to find a cause and have come across two events on the 26/04/10 that are errors. I was wondering if anyone could decode what they mean for me and whether they are the cause. I have googled but couldn't find anything useful.

First:
    Event ID: 10
    Task Scheduler failed to start "\Microsoft\Windows\CertificateServicesClient\User Task" task for user "Ryan-Laptop\Ryan". Additional Data: Error Value: 2147750692.

Second:
    Event ID: 112
    Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Also, in the way of trying to fix the problem otherwise, I have run defragmentations several times on both the hard drive and registry, I have run a full virus and spyware scan, I have fixed the registry and done a cleanup with CCleaner.

If anyone could shed some light on this or help me find another solution, that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sounds like it's time to re-install from scratch. Once the system gets itself in a twist there is not much you can do.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If those events are not showing now you should probably just ignore them.

You should use a tool such as Autoruns for Windows or WhatInStartup - Disable/delete programs at Windows startup to examine and manage what is starting when you boot the PC.

NOTE: Autoruns shows an enormous amount of information. You should be looking at the Logon tab.

Have you added or changed any software?

Have you added any hardware?

Do you have an network connections or devices that are automatically accessed when you boot?

Do you have any USB devices such as flash drives or hard drives attached when you boot?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would look here - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sup..._advanced.aspx or http://kb.prismmicrosys.com/index.asp to see if you can find a solution.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP - Thanks a lot for that tool. Lots of new information to look at there but the logon tab shows nothing I didn't know. I've raided msconfig as much as possible and am down to about 4 startup programs.

The only major thing I can think that I have done is to start using a monitor with my laptop for dual screen. I'm always installing and uninstalling programs, but that week the slowdown happened, I don't think I installed anything. As to the monitor, I thought it might be my driver, but I tried repairing it with the installer with no success.

I don't believe that anything is set to access on startup. Nothing that wasn't accessed before it slowed down anyway.

Butch Coats - Thanks for the links, I'll be looking at those when I have chance.

Thanks both,
    Hope any info here helps you to help me.