2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My desktop and laptop are new computers with win 7 professional. IE 8 was installed on both. The problem I have is when viewing websites the have text entry boxes where the user needs to input data, the boxes are very hard to see. In XP they were outlined on all four sides. I first thought this was a Win 7 problem, but when I used google chrome as a browser the text boxes were visible. Is there a way to fix this in IE8?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you tried running the sites in compatability view?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Another thought is that Win 7 comes with both a 32 Bit and 64 Bit version of IE8. On some system the 64 Bit version seems to be set as default. Many web sites are not yet ready for 64 Bit. Perhaps you should try to make sure you are using the 32 Bit version. On the start button/All Programs, you will see Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer (64 Bit). You can create a shortcut to the 32 Bit version on your desktop and use this shortcut to open web sites. See if this helps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just tried compatability view and that does not change anything. I also do not see that I possibly have IE8 64 bit. If I use Chrome to view the websites the texboxes are very visible.
    My operation system is Windows 7 Professional 32 bit. I have looked at a couple other computers that have Win 7 and they have this problem also so I think it is a Win 7/IE8 problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda in Iowa View Post
    I just tried compatability view and that does not change anything. I also do not see that I possibly have IE8 64 bit. If I use Chrome to view the websites the texboxes are very visible.
    My operation system is Windows 7 Professional 32 bit. I have looked at a couple other computers that have Win 7 and they have this problem also so I think it is a Win 7/IE8 problem.
    Sorry, you initial post did not mention whether 32 Bit or 64 Bit. I guess I just assumed with a new PC it would be 64 Bit.

I'm wondering if this is a part of the Aero system of Win 7??? It is MS attempt to make windows look more attractive to the multitudes of windows user. Some like it, some don't. Perhaps I'm just accustomed to the new interface and like the way these text boxes don't jump off the page at me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is this on all websites? Can you give an example or two?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    The problem I have is when viewing websites the have text entry boxes where the user needs to input data, the boxes are very hard to see. In XP they were outlined on all four sides.
    Any chance you have zoomed the page down? Does it help to zoom the page up a bit?

Does Windows 7 let you pick different color schemes? I wonder whether your current theme uses a very light color that is washing out on your display?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, this is on all websites that have text entry boxes that need to have text entered.
    Example: http://www.qcmemory.org/Page/Local_I...es.aspx?nt=203
    or http://www.riveraction.org/node/42

I have Google chrome on the computer so I used that and the text boxes are visible, like thay were with XP. Don't care for chrome.

Not sure what you mean by "zoomed" as it is full screen 100%.

I do like the comment about a very light color that is washing out on your display. It seems that is a problem in Windows Live Mail and that is another subject.
    but the websites themselves are "normal" colors. Fortunately I have an old computer with XP and IE7 that I can do comparisons. I won't upgrade to IE8 on that computer.

Loved XP, Outlook Express

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, this is on all websites that have text entry boxes that need to have text entered.
    Example: http://www.qcmemory....ses.aspx?nt=203
    I see what you mean. I guess I've just gotten used to it. Did you notice that when you are in the entry box that the outline is darker thus theoretically drawing your attention?

Have you tried changing any of the settings in IE at Tools | Internet Options | General | Appearance (section at the bottom of General)? You might want to experiment with "Colors" and "Accesibility".

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

I have tried all the suggestions and nothing makes it work better. at least I didn't invent Windows 7 or IE8. Obviously the people doing the commercials are clueless.
    Well, I have another question for IE8 so I will make another post.

Thanks everyone,

Linda

Thanks
    Example: http://www.qcmemory....ses.aspx?nt=203
    This is just the new look of IE, just like Aero is the new look for Win 7. If you can't see those entry boxes, perhaps zooming the page might help. When on a page hold Ctrl and + keys to zoom in hold Ctrl and - keys to zoom out. See if this will help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have tried all the suggestions and nothing makes it work better. at least I didn't invent Windows 7 or IE8.
    Have you tried unchecking "Enable visual styles on buttons and controls in webpages" at Tools | Internet Options | Advanced?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Question need display help

It's mostly happening to me in iCloud and Facebook. Thanks for any suggestion you guys could provide.

Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Any chance you have zoomed the page down? Does it help to zoom the page up a bit?

Does Windows 7 let you pick different color schemes? I wonder whether your current theme uses a very light color that is washing out on your display?