Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    In attempting to backup my W7 64b laptop files to my W7 32b desktop I was rather surprised to find out that W7 will only backup files to another W7 on a LAN only if running W7 Professional versions -- not the Home version. Not only that, but I discovered that it wouldn't copy files either -- just a link to the files. Anyone have a suggestion for backing up files on one W7 HD system to another W7 computer HD? I find this terribly frustrating.

Thanks
    There are many 3rd party apps that do a spendid job. I use Acronis True Image Home 2010. At $9.99 after rebate, this is a truely remarkable price. Others have spoken highly of Macrium Reflect a free back up app. Either should do a better job than the somewaht basic Win 7 back up app. This does a descent job but as you have found will only backup to removable media or HD media (Int or Ext), not network media for any version less than Pro.

By the way I back up files from my Ultimate to my wife's HP all the time and to my desktop 32 Bit HP. I open Windows Explorer to the folder containing the files I want to back up, then open Windows Explorer through the network icon on my desktop for the other PC's, then just drag and drop to where ever I want to back them up to. I also use the Back up feature in Quicken for example and specify either a back up location on my Pc or on my wife's PC through the network and it works well. I think it's probably a matter of setting up sharing properly on the PC's. Win 7 does require this , I believe as another layer of security.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    How frustrating, as I have been cross - backing up among XP computers on my LAN for years. Any idea how on-line programs such as Carbonite manage it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Tucker View Post
    How frustrating, as I have been cross - backing up among XP computers on my LAN for years. Any idea how on-line programs such as Carbonite manage it?
    Sorry, never tried an online program. I am perfectly happy with Acronis.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Tucker View Post
    In attempting to backup my W7 64b laptop files to my W7 32b desktop I was rather surprised to find out that W7 will only backup files to another W7 on a LAN only if running W7 Professional versions -- not the Home version. Not only that, but I discovered that it wouldn't copy files either -- just a link to the files. Anyone have a suggestion for backing up files on one W7 HD system to another W7 computer HD? I find this terribly frustrating.
    If you setup sharing properly you should be able to copy files from any win7 system to any other win7 system. Are the win7 systems the only ones on the network?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP, good morning. You typed at the world :

If you setup sharing properly you should be able to copy files from any win7 system to any other win7 system. Are the win7 systems the only ones on the network?

I agree, I do this fine from XPP to W-7 to W-7. This last OS is a bit finicky, I found, but after a many hit and miss, I got it going. The main hurdle is that W-7 needs a PW protected machine, I think, as after installing PWs on all machines, I could do the copying from/to upstream or downstream. Improved security ?

A great day to you.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try free Cobian Backup.. I use this