Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I messed up and got this one in the wrong category. I can't figure out how to move it to the mail category. Sorry. Judy

Hi,
    Installing my Windows Live Mail went very easily and is linked to my hotmail account. I am adjusting to it just fine and like the way it syncs my calendar and contacts, providing me an online backup, so to speak.

Now my friend will need a new e-mail program, but I don't want her to have a Live.com, live messenger, or Hotmail account linked to it as she is not capable of dealing with the additional items.

For her sanity and mine, I would like to install Windows Live Mail on her new computer and opt out of any link to these online items. I can set it up to look very much like her old Outlook Express: Same preview pane, similar menu, similar type of settings. That way when she calls me I'll be able to answer her questions pretty easily. And she will call.

Can WLM install without this coordination to the online mail and messenger part? How? Thanks. Judy

Thanks
    For some reason I believe you have to have a Windows Live account. It can be set up without Messenger. You would simply not download the messenger component. I would check on Windows Mail rather than Windows Live Mail. Windows Mail is available for Vista, whereas Outlook Express is used for XP. Windows Live Mail is the Win 7 optional mail.

You did not mention what version of Windows your friend has.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I think you can setup an account without a Live id but I'm not sure. I don't have access to a machine without WLM to try it.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    For her sanity and mine, I would like to install Windows Live Mail on her new computer and opt out of any link to these online items. I can set it up to look very much like her old Outlook Express: Same preview pane, similar menu, similar type of settings. That way when she calls me I'll be able to answer her questions pretty easily. And she will call.

Can WLM install without this coordination to the online mail and messenger part? How? Thanks. Judy
    Are you talking about setting up WLM for use with an ISP, like say Comcast or something, and having Messenger installed separately for chat?

WLM can be setup independent of hotmail or the online Windows live service just like Outlook Express with any ISP.
    Windows Messenger I don't know about as I don't use it. I suspect you can also use it independently.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Ted, Joe and Clint.
    She'll be going to Windows 7, which is going to be a big adjustment for her by itself. Losing Outlook Express which is so familiar is going to be tough. She's in her 80s.

I'd like to be able to stay with WLM because I have it, and try to do the WLM download and then get out if possible, without setting up any live, hotmail or other ID. It would make helping her so much easier. I too don't have a machine to test it on. I've already got WLM on both of mine. Judy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Olson View Post
    I'd like to be able to stay with WLM because I have it, and try to do the WLM download and then get out if possible, without setting up any live, hotmail or other ID. It would make helping her so much easier. I too don't have a machine to test it on. I've already got WLM on both of mine.
    On a new install of Windows Live Essentials once the installer is initialized you get to choose what client programs to install.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    But then at some point when installing, if I remember correctly, it goes into signing in or signing up for a live ID screen. Judy

Thanks
    Here is a Windows Live Mail tutorial for setting up an account with POP3 or IMAP
    Read it over carefully, you should have no problem with it.

C
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am certain that if you have a Hotmail account, you MUST already have a Windows Live ID.

When you install the Windows Live client, you can choose which bits you want to download and install: just choose Mail. see it all here http://download.live.com/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint,
    What a great tutorial! Thanks. I know several others who will love this.

Even though I already have it installed on my computer, I'm going to try again and download WLM and save it to my desktop rather than run it, and see if I can get it all downloaded and saved and get out of there without continuing with the sign in or sign up for a live identity part. Maybe I can just close the screen at that point. I think it might work. Thanks so much. Judy

Thanks
    Here is a link to Windows Live Essentials. You can use any or all of it. I realize Windows Live Mail is different from Outlook Express, but my mother is also 80 and has adapted well to Live mail. It can be set up similarly to Outlook Express and is surprisingly easy to use. Along with Clint's tutorial this may work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Judy,I know this is an outdated post I'm replying to, if it not been resolved read my post here plus the link in it.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, roderunner.
    Outdated or not, all input gratefully accepted. Good links too. Thanks. Judy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You do not need a Windows Live account or a hotmail account to use Windows Live Mail. I still think Outlook Express is the best even though I now use Live Mail. Somebody needs to make an OE that will work on Win 7 because so many of us still like it best. I have looked at other email programs and have not found one that really compares with what we had in Outlook Express.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Linda.
    There's a lot to be said for familiarity. Myself, I really didn't use it much. But I'm teaching some seniors and they're all really attached. You are right, there should be an OE for Windows 7. Seems like the software companies like to keep us confused. Thanks for your reply. Judy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast