New Lounger
    Thanks
    We have the Latest Windows Media Audio and Windows 7 on our new Sony laptop. Our older Dell laptop ran WMA version 7, I believe, and All of the songs on our CD's in the older version of WMA had automatically searched the Internet and correctly listed the Song Titles, Artists, and Albums, etc., for all of our CD that we copied and burned. Now, we put our CD's, burned from the older WMA 7 version, into our New WMA, and it does Not recognize any of the previously searched media Titles, and so on. Why Not?

We ran the Internet search for the song titles in the current WMA, like we did in the older version of WMA, but it still is unable to pull up and recognize the our song Titles & Artists. Is the current WMA Not backwardly compatible with the older WMA?

Do you have any ideas Why they are seemingly Incompatible? What can we do to get the latest WMA version to recognize the older WMA media information on our older WMA burned CD's, so we can avoid re-typing all of the information about the song Titles, Artists, again?

Thanks for all specific ideas to help us out!

Thanks
    Paul Thurrott's Supersite has some information that may help plus a couple of links. Take a look.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    For a music player, nothing beats Winamp.
    JMHO
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gunther View Post
    All of the songs on our CD's in the older version of WMA had automatically searched the Internet and correctly listed the Song Titles, Artists, and Albums, etc., for all of our CD that we copied and burned. Now, we put our CD's, burned from the older WMA 7 version, into our New WMA, and it does Not recognize any of the previously searched media Titles, and so on. Why Not?
    Peter

I'm guessing you are using Windows Media Player (WMP) and the files you are ripping are WMA. It sounds like previously you were using original manufacturer CDs and now with the new machine you are using home-made burnt CDs and not originals. The old versions of WMP couldn't work out the track data on copied CDs so I don't think the current version is going to suddenly be better. Try an original CD in the computer to verify whether it can find the track info correctly.

It sounds like you burned CDs as audio (wav) files rather than putting WMA or MP3 files directly to the CD - this gives you a copy that can be read by old CD players but you lose all the track details. If you burned CD copies in WMA or MP3 format then you would retain track details, get many albums onto one CD but would need a more recent CD player (or any computer) which can decode WMA or MP3 tracks.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    We have Windows Media Audio Player 9 on the older laptop. We have WMP 12 on the current laptop. We got the WMP 9 to always recognize every manufactured CD song list we placed into WMP 9, and then burned onto CD's using WMA. So, these CD compilations that I made on WMP 9, when I put back into WMP 9 is still recognized. Yet, when I put these compilation CD's into the current WMP 12, it does Not recognize any of the song titles, etc. I did burn them in WMA format, actually, I used the Lossless format option in WMA, and they all worked out really well. The manufactured CD's are recognized in Both the WMP 9 and the current WMP 12 players. The compilation CD's made from the manufactured CD's are not recognized in WMP 12, for some reason. This incompatibility has us stumped.

Why does WMA 12 Not recognize WMA 9's songs? We're lost. The only format we ever used to burn CD's in WMP 9 was the the WMA format.

Thanks for all of the interesting comments.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried a machine with WMP 9 other than the one you burnt the CD on? Perhaps that machine recognises all the music because it was the machine that burnt the copy. I know that once you have downloaded a manufactured CD's metadata, next time you insert the same CD it doesn't need to download the information again.

However, if the burnt CDs contain WMA files then I can't explain why a later version of WMP cannot access the metadata.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia