New Lounger
    Thanks
    A few days ago I received UNSOLICITED a disc ostensibly from Microsoft to upgrade XP Home from SP2 to SP3 in a white mailer with stickers giving information and bar codes, as per the attachment. The disc shows "Part No. X14-60166-02. I already have SP 3 installed from a downloaded update and have no idea why MS would send this to me. My original XP SP 2 disc was supplied by Dell with purchase of a computer. Unfortunately the mailing envelope was discarded so no postmark information.

I am reluctant to even put it in my optical drive for fear that just reading the directory could release malware if it is fraudulent.

Has anyone experienced a similar mailing, and is anyone aware of MS sending out such update discs unsolicited? I have queried MS but do not as yet have a reply.

I hope it is legitimate in case I ever want to reinstall my XP SP2 and then update it to SP3.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    I don't believe they (MS) would ever send you anything unless you specifically ordered something.
    ...Especially from Puerto Rico???
    Looks like some kind of social engineering attempt, specifically directed toward you or your physical address.
    It may have even been mass mailed out to whatever addresses they could get their hands on through some cracked data base somewhere. Very expensive.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft never sends anything to anyone anywhere unsolicited (ordered). I don't know if they even send out anything to licensed subscribers anymore; its probably all download-oriented.

This is a classic method of social engineering vey similar to leaving USB keys in busy parking lots...hmm, wonder whats on this thing or if I can find out who it belongs to if I just plug it into my system...

Same type of thing goes on by phone where the caller knows everything about your credit card and confirms it all, including the cc number because they've already stolen the card electronically, but they don't have the 3 number extension on the back. So after the caller says nnnn-nnnn-nnnn-nnnn, is this correct? You say yes. Then they say ok good, and just to verify that the card is in your possesion, what are the 3 numbers on the back? Bingo!

Social engeneering is far older and far more dynamic than the black hat and white hat application war will ever be.

Thanks
    Feeling ambitious?...
    If your curious about it, you can set it up on a second, isolated and "dumbed down" computer and run the setup disk to see and track what processes get installed and where/how it's attempting to elicit/contract incoming & outgoing traffic.

Sysinternals has all the tools needed for this sort of thing.

Dumbed down computer:
    Another computer that you have that can be converted into a "test bed" for the sole purpose of tracking potential
    malware or other malicious programs or processes in isolation. Something that can easily be formatted without
    loss of important data or other personal informations.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    If you believe this disk, there is a prince in Nairobi who wants to talk to you. This is on a similar scale, or perhaps some Chinese gentlemen that want to talk about your credit card, or the order you just placed, Oh you didn't order anything, hmmm.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy