Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We have a D-link DIR-655 router in the garage, fed by a DSL modem and routed around through CAT-5 cables to various rooms in the house. About two months ago, we upgraded my son's computer (new motherboard, processor, memory, video card, sound card, power supply - old drives and case) and installed Windows 7 on it. Looking back, it was at this time that my wife's Vista Home laptop started losing its wireless connection.

We tolerated this for a while, and then decided to replace the DIR-655, reasoning that it could have developed wireless problems after two years of great service. When the replacement arrived, we hooked it up, got everything working just right on the wired side of the network (two computers, one of which has two printers plugged into USB ports to serve out over the network), and then turned on a laptop to confirm that the wireless was fixed.

It was, for a few minutes, and then, the signal disappeared. So, we called D-link tech support and administered a whole bunch of possible fixes, none of which worked. We were told to pack it up and send it back, so we did, and a couple days ago, the second replacement arrived.

Last night, I finally got time to hook it up, and it acted exactly the same. The wireless stayed up for about a minute, then suddenly disappeared.

So, the kid, whose date memory is better than mine (that's what 50 years of age difference will do for you;-)) says, "Y'know, Dad, this problem started about the time we upgraded my computer - let me go try something totally weird." He shut down his computer, and, lo and behold, the wireless signal came right back on, and stayed steady while we watched on online TV episode for the next half-hour.

We have the Dell wireless utility on the laptops, and can see the signal-to-noise ratio graphically. With my son's computer turned off or disconnected from the network, we see no discernable noise, and -50 db of signal (which corresponds to four bars on the icon). As soon as his computer comes online, the noise bars jump up to the same height as the signal bars, and, after a matter of seconds, the wireless part of the DIR-655 shuts down.

There is no effect on the wired part of the router - not so much as a hiccup.

We thought maybe the kid's computer had a wireless adapter in it that was doing this, but we checked, and there isn't one in the box. To see if his computer might be radiating some signal, we unplugged his network cable. The wireless came right back on and stayed on until we plugged him back in.

He's using the on-board network adapter to hook up. I have a bunch of older PCI network cards, but Windows 7 won't recognize any of them. Our next ploy is to find a compatible PCI net card, disable the on-board adapter, plug the card in and see what happens.

But, since it's a fairly quiet day here at the office, I thought I'd relate this tale to the Lounge and see if anyone had any insights.

Pat

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to patmoore For This Useful Post:

gimpdaddy (2013-09-26)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My on-board network adapter recently went bad on my Win 7 machine and I replaced it with a Linksys 10/100 EtherFast PCI Adapter Model No.:LNE100TX. The Linksys card works just lovely and haven't had any problems with my laptop loosing its wireless connection.

Had to use the install CD that came with the card for the driver as Win 7 didn't already have the driver preloaded.

JB

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would really like to see some of the great minds on this forum weigh in on this. HOW in the WORLD does connecting a wired computer to the router cause Radio Frequency interference?

Could it actually feed power back through that card that is throwing that routers radio off?

You state "as soon as his computer comes online"... with the computer turned on but unplugged from the router do you still see the noise?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    You state "as soon as his computer comes online"... with the computer turned on but unplugged from the router do you still see the noise?
    That is a great question and I look forward to hearing the answer!

It sounds like "dirty" power is transferring noise through the Ethernet cable. If you use a UPS, try removing it from the equation. Or try a different surge protector, or possibly move the desktop to another power outlet. Check hardware power connections in the case for any looseness. If you have a spare, try a different Ethernet cable. Best to try simple things first.

The power supply might also be a possible contributor to the problem.

It will be interesting to see what effect disabling the onboard NIC and installing a new NIC card will have.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a great thought, but we already tried that. I had him shut down his computer, unplug the network cable from the socket on the back of his computer, power down, and then I watched the signal-to-noise display while he turned the computer back on. There was no change in the noise level. I'm convinced this is not a radiated signal from any part of his computer - whatever's causing this crazy thing to happen is traveling over the wire to the router.

I got hold of a CAT-5 cable checker and confirmed that all the cables are correctly wired and connected between my son's computer and the router. Next step (while we're waiting for a new NIC card to get here) is to insert a network switch between the computer and the router, which should eliminate everything traveling on the wire that's not digital.

l'll keep you posted, but I still want those great minds working away on more suggestions.

Oh yeah - son's motherboard is an MSI P55-GD65. We're checking to make sure he has the latest manufacturer's drivers installed.

Thanks for the great question.

Pat

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Next step (while we're waiting for a new NIC card to get here) is to insert a network switch between the computer and the router, which should eliminate everything traveling on the wire that's not digital.
    That was my next suggestion. I am watching this thread with interest so don't forget to report back what fixes it...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The latest developments: I configured a second router as a switch (shut off the wireless and the DHCP server, gave it an IP address outside the main router's DHCP range and different from the main router), and hooked it up between the son's computer and the cable going to the main router. The reasoning, as I mentioned above, was, if the problem was due to noise riding the digital stream from the computer, the switch would block it.

No joy. As soon as the switch was connected to the router, its wireless went down in exactly the same pattern.

Next, I had ordered up a new NIC card to allow us to disable the one on son's motherboard. However, the card arrived defective. Plugging it into two different computers resulted in an immediate shutdown as the power supply circuit breaker blew in both. Evidently a short on the NIC card. So, it's on its way back to the supplier. When I get a working replacement, we'll try that step.

In the meantime, we're running the laptops on cables and have plugged the network printer into a USB port on my computer so we can serve it around.

I'm trending toward a curse as the possible cause of this problem. Does anyone know of a source of little clay computers we can stick pins into?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, I forgot to mention, in response to Gerald's posting - we subbed in another power supply, carefully checking every connection, and ran it off a different AC outlet on a different breaker. No joy.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And, we ran a separate ethernet cable directly from the son's computer to the router, bypassing all other cables. Again, no joy.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    I'm trending toward a curse as the possible cause of this problem. Does anyone know of a source of little clay computers we can stick pins into?
    Actually, don't you need to find that little clay computer and pull the pins back out?

This is getting more perplexing all the time...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, don't you need to find that little clay computer and pull the pins back out?

This is getting more perplexing all the time...

This thread is a little old, but I was wondering if you tried plugging your sons PC into a different port on the router.
    George

New Lounger
    Thanks
    sorry to necro a thread, but was there ever a solution to this issue?

I have recently had the same problem at the office I work at. We use Oceanic for our cable isp, and it took a while to pinpoint the problem.

We have tried changing out the modem and the router, as well as some cables. I have tried plugging in both comuters into the modem and Computer 1 would not connect to the internet, but Computer 2 would. I noticed when i tried plugging everything back into the router that the lights stopped flashing when I plugged #1 in, so I decided to see if it would work without it plugged in. Same as the OP the internet started working right away, including the wireless, when I plugged #1 back in it once again went down.

So far this is the only place i have seen a similar problem, so just wondering if the OP is still around and had a solution.
    Last edited by toab; 2012-07-10 at 16:57.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Intriguing

I have a very similiar problem where sometime when I shut off my pc connected to our router with a cable, the wifi stops too. Sort of the opposite of yours. Wierdly though I got the wifi to start working again by unplugging the cable connecting the computer to the router, the computer was shut off at the time.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    We have a D-link DIR-655 router in the garage, fed by a DSL modem and routed around through CAT-5 cables to various rooms in the house. About two months ago, we upgraded my son's computer (new motherboard, processor, memory, video card, sound card, power supply - old drives and case) and installed Windows 7 on it. Looking back, it was at this time that my wife's Vista Home laptop started losing its wireless connection.

We tolerated this for a while, and then decided to replace the DIR-655, reasoning that it could have developed wireless problems after two years of great service. When the replacement arrived, we hooked it up, got everything working just right on the wired side of the network (two computers, one of which has two printers plugged into USB ports to serve out over the network), and then turned on a laptop to confirm that the wireless was fixed.

It was, for a few minutes, and then, the signal disappeared. So, we called D-link tech support and administered a whole bunch of possible fixes, none of which worked. We were told to pack it up and send it back, so we did, and a couple days ago, the second replacement arrived.

Last night, I finally got time to hook it up, and it acted exactly the same. The wireless stayed up for about a minute, then suddenly disappeared.

So, the kid, whose date memory is better than mine (that's what 50 years of age difference will do for you;-)) says, "Y'know, Dad, this problem started about the time we upgraded my computer - let me go try something totally weird." He shut down his computer, and, lo and behold, the wireless signal came right back on, and stayed steady while we watched on online TV episode for the next half-hour.

We have the Dell wireless utility on the laptops, and can see the signal-to-noise ratio graphically. With my son's computer turned off or disconnected from the network, we see no discernable noise, and -50 db of signal (which corresponds to four bars on the icon). As soon as his computer comes online, the noise bars jump up to the same height as the signal bars, and, after a matter of seconds, the wireless part of the DIR-655 shuts down.

There is no effect on the wired part of the router - not so much as a hiccup.

We thought maybe the kid's computer had a wireless adapter in it that was doing this, but we checked, and there isn't one in the box. To see if his computer might be radiating some signal, we unplugged his network cable. The wireless came right back on and stayed on until we plugged him back in.

He's using the on-board network adapter to hook up. I have a bunch of older PCI network cards, but Windows 7 won't recognize any of them. Our next ploy is to find a compatible PCI net card, disable the on-board adapter, plug the card in and see what happens.

But, since it's a fairly quiet day here at the office, I thought I'd relate this tale to the Lounge and see if anyone had any insights.

Pat
    I just wanted to say thank you for posting this because it got my wheels turning. :-) I recently had this problem when connecting a 2nd monitor to my wired computer; as soon as I turned on the wired computer, wireless went away and I couldn't figure it out. After reading this post, I realized that it was a strong possibility of interference. Sure enough, as soon as I moved my router a few feet away, wireless came back. I'm assuming you have figured something out since it has been a long time since you posted but I just wanted to say thank you and give you my story and my fix. So, if you haven't found a fix, just try moving the router away from the machine that is potentially causing interference and when you get far enough away (2-3 feet should be sufficient), your wireless should return to normal, at least I hope so. Good luck and thanks again!