Thread: Corel Clipart

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know how to copy clipart from Corel Ventura 5 to a MS Word2003 document? According to the Cotel manual copy and paste is possible between documents, but maybe it is more complicated between programs. I get the feeling copying in Corel is to its own clipboard, not the Windows clipboard. Any suggestions would be welcome.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have Ventura so I can't be positive but Corel Painter and PSP use the Windows clipboard. I think its more likely that the working format (assming you are making changes when in Ventura) is not compatible with anything MS Word is able to recognize. On the Ventura side make sure the whole image is selected, there are no layers and use the Copy merged command if available. On the MS Word side there should be a Paste special... in the menu besides the generic paste. In the paste special dialogue there should be an option to map the clipboard image as bitmap, which should be recognizable to MS Word for sure and you should get the image.

If that doesn't help and paste is otherwise working everywhere else then there's probaby a bug or there is something proprietary going on with Ventura.

Thanks
    What have you tried so far, and what were the results? Have you tried pasting into an image editor?

Ventura could maximize compatibility by placing the clip art on the clipboard in WMF format, but if it uses a proprietary format, then you may have to use a Corel product to capture it in full fidelity.

If you don't need to edit the clipart, you could capture it as an image. For irregularly shaped art, however, cleaning up the edges could be a lot of work.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    What have you tried so far, and what were the results? Have you tried pasting into an image editor?

Ventura could maximize compatibility by placing the clip art on the clipboard in WMF format, but if it uses a proprietary format, then you may have to use a Corel product to capture it in full fidelity.

If you don't need to edit the clipart, you could capture it as an image. For irregularly shaped art, however, cleaning up the edges could be a lot of work.
    I have tried loading an image into Corel Mosaic and then trying to copy it to the clipboard and then pasting into Word, but that will not work, Word's clipboard remains empty. I have also tried to attack the problem from Word by clicking Insert, Picture, From File and accessing the clipart on the CD. All the clipart appears as .cmx files and if I try to insert any of them in Word it asks me to convert the .cmx file from a list of file types. None of them work and .cmx itself is not listed.

Thanks
    After searching around on the web for a while, the only thing I found that sounded at all promising was the Inkscape program described in this post: How to Open Cdr, Cmx, Ai files without buying Illustrator or Corel Draw.. I think you would need to resave the clipart into WMF format to be compatible with MS Office. If you try it, please report back on whether and how well it works.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link. I have installed Inkscape and we are well on the way to solving the problem. From Inkscape I access the clipart on the Corel CD and import it into Inkscape. Then it is a simple copy and paste into Word. Alternatively I can save it as an .eps file onto my hard disk. Strangely, saving it as a .wmf file does not work, it just comes out as random patches of the original colour. One minor problem is some of the clipart appears in Word with a fine horizontal line through it but I am sure after experimenting for a while we will solve this too. Thanks again.