5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 6 chapters of my Thesis Saved as seperate chapters. I now need to place them in one documents. When I copy my list of references how can I check which ones are duplicated once copied, but highlighting duplicate references

Your assistance will be most appreciated

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How did you create the lists of references? If these were just typed in then I would copy them all into the back of the combined document and then sort the paragraphs alphabetically and visually check them.

If you used endnotes then you may be able to sort these alphabetically but you would have to manually repair the duplicates.

If you used the referencing capabilities of Word 2007 then it should automatically merge the duplicates.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew

Thanks for the reply. I am uaing Word 2007. I have four seperate word documents with a list of refrences in each, I need to copy & paste these into a new document, How do I merge the references, so that there are no duplicate references

Regards

Howard

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Howard

Based on your answer, it is likely that your references have been manually typed in and you haven't used the automated features of Word for the referencing. Therefore you will need to copy the content into a continuous block (or a new document) and sort the paragraphs alphabetically (assuming one paragraph = one reference) and then manually check each consecutive reference to remove duplicates. Whilst we could develop a macro to compare paragraphs, this would be unlikely to find the same references where the punctuation differs.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Howard