New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

Hi everyone,
    I have a Dell Optiplex GX270. Bought it used a couple of years ago.It now has a 2.4G proc, 2G ram, 160G HD(plenty for my needs). Now heres the question(s)...Where can I go on web to find out how much of an upgrade on processor and RAM. I have not been able to find motherboard name or numbers. I am not a master on computers but have a good working knowledge. While the 2.4 proc is "speedy" as compared to my last one, I am have been running a "cpu-ram meter" to keep an eye on things and am seeing that in almost all applications I am using invariably 100% cpu. Nothing running in background that is not necessary. I have a Pentium 4. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to by something I can't use.

Thanks
    The best place to find information on your make and model of motherboard is either through software identification of hardware, or from Dell itself. Do a service tag search from Dell's site.
    Download and run SIW or some other hardware checking software. Look over the hardware section of it carefully.

Get info on the make and model of your motherboard and it will be a simple matter to check for upgrade compatibilities.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I wouldn't bother to upgrade that as the processor will be hard to find and is unlikely to give you much of a boost. You already have the best speed increase measure - 2GB RAM.

Stick with it and save your pennies for the new box in a year or two.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I have to agree with P T. You have to consider if this PC is worth putting any more money into. To change much you would need to start with a new MB, then CPU, RAM, etc. This would be nearly as expensive as building a new PC from scratch. Save your dollars and go for a new PC. You will be surprised how much you can get today for the money.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Nispel View Post
    I have a Dell Optiplex GX270. Bought it used a couple of years ago.It now has a 2.4G proc, 2G ram, 160G HD(plenty for my needs). Now heres the question(s)...Where can I go on web to find out how much of an upgrade on processor and RAM. I have not been able to find motherboard name or numbers.

I am have been running a "cpu-ram meter" to keep an eye on things and am seeing that in almost all applications I am using invariably 100% cpu.
    Are you running XP? What service pack is installed?

What is your RAM usage?

How many applications do you have open at once?

If you have a Small Form Factor gx 270 according to Computer memory upgrades for Dell OptiPlex GX270 Series (Small Form Factor) Desktop/PC from Crucial.com you already have the maximum amount of RAM you can install.

If you have a min-tower or desktop GX270 see Computer memory upgrades for Dell OptiPlex GX270 Series (Desktop and Mini-Tower) Desktop/PC from Crucial.com for information on RAM upgrades.

I almost always use Crucial. There RAM is guaranteed to work. They are easy to work with.

HOWEVER, before investing in RAM taht will cost close to $100 USD you should consider how long you are planning on keeping the PC. If you plan on replacing it in the near future (you get to define what "near future" means in this case) you'd be better off putting the cash towards a new machine. If you plan on keeping the PC until it rolls over & dies then spend the money on RAM.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would go with a full new pc on this one. Considering it is a P4 as you stated.
    You might be putting in 100 for the mem and for the CPU if it is P4 I'm not even sure you would get nything better for the motherboard.

Cheers,
    Matti

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your inputs here. After reading all the answers, I've decided to wait and get new puter in the future. And it will prob be laptop. Again, Thank's All......