New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bottom line on top: I suspect a problem with a manifest added by Win7 Ultimate during the upgrade. I consider myself an experienced power user and did a lot of research myself. I think that I've identified the error, but need assistance from a knowledgeable software engineer to fix the problem created by the upgrade process. Hopefully, someone here will be generous with their time and help. I hope to return the favor someday. Thank you.

Immediately after upgrading from Vista Ultimate to Win7 Ultimate, I receive the following error message when trying to run various applications, such as Quicken, Adobe Acrobat, SnagIt, and ShadowProduct among other applications.

-------------------
    C:\Program Files\Quicken\qw.exe
    The application has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more details.
    -------------------

These applications ran fine before the upgrade. Some other applications run fine after the upgrade.

The critical error in the event log for all applications that fail to start is always the same. The only difference is the path and filename of the application that failed to start. Here is an example:
    -------------------
    Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Quicken\qw.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",pub licKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",versio n="8.0.50727.762" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

-------------------

Here is the result of the sxstrace.txt log (also included as an attachment)

-------------------
    =================
    Begin Activation Context Generation.
    Input Parameter:
    Flags = 0
    ProcessorArchitecture = x86
    CultureFallBacks = en-US;en
    ManifestPath = C:\Program Files\Quicken\qw.exe
    AssemblyDirectory = C:\Program Files\Quicken\
    Application Config File =
    -----------------
    INFO: Parsing Manifest File C:\Program Files\Quicken\qw.exe.
    INFO: Manifest Definition Identity is (null).
    INFO: Reference: Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",pub licKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",versio n="8.0.50727.762"
    INFO: Reference: Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",pub licKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",versio n="8.0.50727.762"
    INFO: Resolving reference Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",pub licKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",versio n="8.0.50727.762".
    INFO: Resolving reference for ProcessorArchitecture x86.
    INFO: Resolving reference for culture Neutral.
    INFO: Applying Binding Policy.
    INFO: Find publisher policy at C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_policy.8.0.microso ft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4927_none_5 16ad11f0f4bdafe.manifest
    INFO: Publisher Policy redirected assembly version.
    INFO: Post policy assembly identity is Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",pub licKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",versio n="8.0.50727.4927".
    INFO: Begin assembly probing.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt _1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4927_none_d08a205e442d b5b5.manifest.
    INFO: Manifest found at C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt _1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4927_none_d08a205e442d b5b5.manifest.
    INFO: End assembly probing.
    INFO: Resolving reference Microsoft.VC80.CRT.mui,language="*",processor Architecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3 b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.4927".
    INFO: Resolving reference for culture en-US.
    INFO: No publisher policy found.
    INFO: No binding policy redirect found.
    INFO: Did not find the assembly in WinSxS.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.VC80.CRT.mui\ 8.0.50727.4927_en-US_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b\Microsoft.VC80.CRT.mui.DLL.
    INFO: Did not find manifest for culture en-US.
    INFO: Resolving reference for culture en.
    INFO: No publisher policy found.
    INFO: No binding policy redirect found.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.VC80.CRT.mui\ 8.0.50727.4927_en_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b\Microsoft.VC80. CRT.mui.DLL.
    INFO: Did not find manifest for culture en.
    INFO: Resolving reference Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",pub licKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",versio n="8.0.50727.762".
    INFO: Resolving reference for culture Neutral.
    INFO: Find publisher policy at C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_policy.8.0.microso ft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_none_4 9ef489714173a89.manifest
    INFO: Publisher Policy redirected assembly version.
    INFO: Post policy assembly identity is Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",pub licKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",versio n="8.0.50727.4053".
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\8.0. 50727.4053__1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b\Microsoft.VC80.MFC.DL L.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files\Quicken\Microsoft.VC80.MFC.DLL.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files\Quicken\Microsoft.VC80.MFC.MANIFEST.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files\Quicken\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\Microsoft.VC80.MF C.DLL.
    INFO: Attempt to probe manifest at C:\Program Files\Quicken\Microsoft.VC80.MFC\Microsoft.VC80.MF C.MANIFEST.
    INFO: Did not find manifest for culture Neutral.
    ERROR: Cannot resolve reference Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",pub licKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",versio n="8.0.50727.762".
    ERROR: Activation Context generation failed.
    End Activation Context Generation.

-----------------------------------------

I know that manifests were designed at least in part to resolve DLL hell. But, when they don't work correctly, I don't know how to fix. Please help. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Did you do an In Place Upgrade or Clean (Custom) Install over Vista? Also 32 Bit or 64 Bit (Appears 32 Bit from your post)? Some very strange problems have occured with In Place Upgrades. If this is your case, the Clean (Custon) Install option may have been a better choice. Yes it does require a reinstall of apps, but gives a cleaner install in my opinion. Sorry I can not tell you how to fix this. It appears this is a problem with incorrect or corrupt dll system files which could be the result of Upgrade versus Clean install.

Run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt, might find the problem. Here is explanation from Microsoft.

A reinstall using the Clean (Custom) install may be in order, sorry.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    You might try a reinstall of any applications that no longer function as they did before the upgrade.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    I found the same issue today on a new Win7 64 laptop being setup. One of the programs installed was Alwil Software Avast5. Called it up this morning to set it up ans received the same message regarding side-by-side configuration.

I accept the suggestion by bbearren as the way to best deal with this problem BUT.

Avast5 is not showing in the programs so is not available to be removed and I cannot find a way to remove it. Should I attempt to install over it again? I would rather remove it first but don't know how to do it. HELP please and thanks a lot.
    Ray/FL
    Polk County

Lounger
    Thanks
    Searched for and found installers and fixed the problem. Removed the troubled program and reinstalled. Everything is fine now and thanks very much. I used Revo and it is good.
    Ray/FL