New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have started having problems downloading files that are larger than roughly 1.5 MB. It happens with Firefox as my default browser but also with MS IE 7 when I replicate the problem. The interesting part is that I can coax the download along by clicking pause and then start with another 100-200K downloading before it stops again. Eventually I can download the file. Added On Download status - no change except more detail!

Tried disabling the firewall (Comodo 3.14 free) or antivirus (Avast! 4.8 free) with no change. Digging into Comodo deeper I could see ports opening up for the download and activity, but no signs of a problem. The WXP SP3 firewall was on (wooops), turned it off, but didn't see any change.

Did full scans with Avast! and also Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware and MS Win Update flavor of the month all installed for one-time scans. Didn't find anything and think I can account for everything showing in MS Sys Internals.

Running 1 GB of DRAM on a Dell Inspiron 5150 P4 with plenty of space on the HD. Regularly do the Windows, Office (2K3 SP3), Adobe, Java, QuickTime updates. No recent hardware changes, minor software changes all the time and it took awhile for the problem to really get my attention.

So, any suggestions out there? If there's no golden bullet, may have to go back through the above and see if something was missed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Wired or wireless connection?

What kind of NIC?

What kind of router if any?

Does this happen on all web sites?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked your ISP? Maybe they are imposing some limits that you don't know about?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Most likely a network connection issue. Check all your HW. Specially if you are on wireless, rebooting the router should work. This was happening to me a while back with a busted router.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Connection got worse and worse. Called AT&T and established that removing everything else plugged into the phone line made it work. Assume either too many phone loads or bad DSL filters. Worked great for awhile then connection went south again. Getting ready to call again I turned a fan on me and double-checked everything one last time. Started working! Sitting there slowly a light went on over head. Putting a little fan blowing on the modem gave another 6 months. Went south again! Replaced router (Motorola Netopia 2210) with a 2Wire 2710 and everything's been great for more than a year.
    Last edited by Acarolinensis; 2013-07-11 at 06:05.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Wow!! What persistence. Glad you finally got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe