Thread: BSOD

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am having an infrequent problem with a BSOD screen on boot-up. When I shut down my computer, turn off the power for 20 seconds and power up, it loads OK. The BSOD happens occasionally at start-up both from shutdown and hybernation.

I am running Windows XP Pro, Asus P4C800E Duluxe MB with P4 2.4 Ghz CPU, ATI Radeon 9500 Pro AGP, Corsair XMS 2GB (2X1G) RAM, Maxtor 200GB PATA HD (OS on this), 500G Seagate HD SATA (storeage drive).

The BSOD error code is 0X000000ED (0X89BB7900, 0XC0000185, 0X00000000, 0X00000000).

Event Viewer / System errors:
    SOURCE EVENT
    MSFWDrv 9
    Services Control Manger 7000, 7009, 7036
    Netlogon 3095

About 6 weeks ago I downloaded IE8 and all the updates. I uninstalled it shortly after because it slowed my computer to a crawl. I'm not sure if this has any meaning but I don't have any other ideas. I have searched Google and this site and don't really find answers that zero in on my problem. I am more of a novice than an expert and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Bojer

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See the links for stop code "ED" at Troubleshooting Windows STOP Messages.

These are old links. I can't find anything newer. It could be you're about to have a disk failure.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Hi Boyd and welcome to the Lounge!

A hard drive problem also came to my mind when you said the BSOD comes up intermittently at cold startup and startup from hibernation. Bootup obviously involves the hard drive and awakening from hibernation also intensely uses the hard drive. Have you tried using Standby (sleep mode) rather than hibernation to see if the BSOD occurs when your computer is awakened?. If your system is stable when coming out of standby, then that would be another indicator of possible hard drive problems as standby does not depend as much on the hard drive, but rather on memory.

You could run some diagnostics on your hard drive from the vendor's support site.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you encounter the BSOD could you please let us know the STOP ERROR reason?

Also if you have any *.dmp files in your %SystemRoot%\Minidump folder (usually Windows\Minidump) please zip and attach them for further assistance.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the Help. I downloaded Seagate's 'SeaTools for Windows' and my HD passed both the short and long test but I'm not sure if these tests are definitive on actual HD health.
    I will post the 'stop error' descriptions when and if I experience another BSOD. Thanks again for taking the time to help me on this issue. Bojer