Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I did not know these - Windows Run commands you probably never knew .

NOTE: Number 3 did not open "Computer" on my Win7 Ultimate x-64 system.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Number 3 opens my main user account on Window 7 64 bit.
    2 dots in the run box opened "C:\Users" folder.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All seemed to work on my setup.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The next to last post summarized my observation; most of these are retreads of old, tried, and true DOS commands.

BTW, if you have a Windows Explorer window open, you can use its address bar as an always open Run box.

Along the same lines, here are a few other shortcuts, usable in either the address bar of the Windows Explorer or its cousin, the Run box.

%APPDATA% - Opens your Application Data directory; e. g., C:\Documents and Settings\David\Application Data.

%windir% or %SystemRoot%- Opens your Windows directory; e. g., C:\WINDOWS.

%TMP% or %TEMP% - Opens your User Temp Directory; e. g., C:\Documents and Settings\David\Local Settings\Temp

%CommonProgramFiles% - Opens the Common Program Files directory; e. g., C:\Program Files\Common Files

%ALLUSERSPROFILE% - Opens the Common (Shared) User Profile directory; e. g., C:\Documents and Settings\All Users

%MSDevDir% - Opens the main (common, shared) Visual Studio program directory, if you have Microsoft Visual Studio 6 installed; e. g., C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98

In general, you can open any single directory named in an environment string by surrounding its name with percent characters. By "single directory," I mean that you cannot use the PATH environment string in this way, because it contains a list of directories.

These magic strings have many other uses, too, including the following.

• Desktop shortcuts
    • Batch file commands (in either .BAT or .CMD files
    • In commands entered at a command prompt, including both the program call, itself, and its arguments, if any
    I use them almost daily.

David Gray, Chief Wizard
    WizardWrx
    Irving, Texas, USA

WizardWrx Web - Technical Articles and Free Software
    You are more important than any technology we may employ.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And don't forget the Windows key - I use it to open Explorer (Winkey + E), and to access the system page (Winkey + Pause).

There are many other direct accesses that can be made with winkey, network, printing etc.