New Lounger
    Thanks
    G'day,

I have two usb external portable drives for my laptop - one "redpassport" contains pictures, fonts, ephemera. The other ("business") contains all of my business files and until yesterday was 'seen' correctly by windows 7.

Now, however, the business drive is named "redpassport" (even when the 'real' redpassport is connected to my laptop) and the directory structure windows sees is the one corresponding to my redpassport. Windows cannot see the real structure, nor seemingly rebuild it, offering me only a 'format disk' as a way of fixing it (not a solution).

The amount of space available on "business" is correct, only the directory structure and folder names are incorrect.

I have tried connecting the "business" drive to another windows 7 machine and it similarly sees the 'wrong' top-level folders, and attempting to drill down from a top level folder only brings a 'corrupt' error message.

I downloaded and used xplorer2 to see if it was just a Windows Explorer 'feature' but alas xplorer2 shows a similarly incorrect folder structure.

Your help in rebuilding my file structure most assuredly needed.

Lee

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds as though there is a physical fault with the hardware or more likely is the fact the drives had been un-mounted from windows un-safely causing some corruption. Have you been able to successfully run CheckDisk (chkdsk) on the USB devices?

Here is a graphical guide for Windows 7.

http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.html

Thanks
    I agree, run chkdsk preferably from a boot environment if you are able.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried chkdsk but nothing came up. Eventually, serendipitously I came across File Scavenger, a data recovery tool; it has found all of my old, much loved and needed files, and I am currently in the process of recovering them from the corrupt drive to a backup 1TB drive.

Thanks to both Josh and Clint for your help, guys.

May you live long and prosper (now, where have I heard that before?)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leehopkins View Post
    live long and prosper (now, where have I heard that before?)
    I'm glad you've been able to recover the data Mr. Spock

A suggestion as I'm not in the hot seat myself (i.e. you) I would think twice about depending on any data on the suspect drive(s). Always keep at least one backup.