New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried a number of times to install "Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB978542)" Each time the installation is unsuccessful and I keep being reminded that I have an update to install. Can anyone give me some insight as to what I can do with this? Thanks
    Harald

Thanks
    All though it didn't suggest a reboot.Did you reboot your system?(Taking a stab in the dark here.)
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Harald,
    Are you running Outlook Express?
    Armstrong

Thanks
    I have tried a number of times to install "Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB978542)" Each time the installation is unsuccessful and I keep being reminded that I have an update to install. Can anyone give me some insight as to what I can do with this? Thanks
    Harald
    You may want to temporarily disable your firewall and or antivirus programs prior to the install.
    You can also check through the event viewer for any related errors.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Microsoft Knowledge Base article states, "This security update resolves a privately reported vulnerability in Outlook Express, Windows Mail, and Windows Live Mail.This security update resolves a privately reported vulnerability in Outlook Express, Windows Mail, and Windows Live Mail."

If you are not using Outlook Express, Windows Mail, or Windows Live Mail, it appears you aren't actually exposed to these vulnerabilitits. From what I have gathered, the folks who are most often having difficulty with this particular update don't have the affected mail clients installed. It could be that the patch fails by not being able to find the correct set of files to patch in the system.

This article states that no-charge help is available from Microsoft for home users who have difficulties with this patch.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much. I did not think to go to Microsoft and find an answer. I am still not used to their trying to do something positive with their customer service. I am not using any of their mail systems, do not have them installed.
    Harald