Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Please name your most favorite antivirus software.
    Would Malwarebytes' Anit Malware and SuperAntiSpyware suffice for Windows 7 security?
    Armstrong

Thanks
    I use the free MSE for real time AV/AM protection. For weekly scanning I use MalwareBytes and Spybot Search and Destroy. All of these apps have received very good reviews in these and other forums. Another free AV that is widely used is Avast.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not recommend a purchased anti-virus program. There are many free programs
    that are very good. My personal favorite is Avira AntiVir Personal. However,
    there are several others that are very good. To name a few:

Avira AntiVir Personal: http://www.free-av.com/

Avast! Free Antivirus: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

AVG Free: http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free

Check out this site: http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/

Both McAfee and Norton's are over priced and bloated. They tend to interfere
    with other programs. Evey time I fix a computer for others I always install
    Avia. I also install SpyBot-Search & Destroy along with Ad-Block. I have never
    bought an anti-virus program! And never had a virus related computer crash.

Thanks
    I naturally despise having to have antivirus software running on my computer in the first place, let alone in the background. To me it is a necessary evil.
    MSE does quite nicely for me as it is lowkey, simple, and absolutely functional. One of the few security features that Microsoft has ever endeavored to get right IMO.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had MSE for four months and like how it runs,small and fast.No problems so far. However,on May 6,2010,Fred says 'MSE automatically disables any versions of Defender it finds on a PC'.
    windowssecrets.com/2010/05/06/01-The-120-day-Microsoft-security-suite-test-drive
    My Defender install is behaving like nothing has changed,asks for updates,auto run,etc..Guess i'm curious if Fred was mis informed or is my system faulting somehow.The only thing i have onboard that may affect these is Windows Steady State.
    previously I had Avast,but was a bit disappointed at the bloat in v4.
    Thanks

Thanks
    MSE has both an AV component and an antimalware component. I'm wondering if what you are interpreting is actually MSE's AM component since MSE does automatically disable Defender.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Would Malwarebytes' Anit Malware and SuperAntiSpyware suffice for Windows 7 security?
    Not solely by themselves. You would need an antivirus program as well, as the above listed programs are for spyware and malware.
    I've used them both and they are decent tools for their respective uses.
    Any popular free, known workable AV program for Windows 7, will due until you can form an opinion and make a more informed decision.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    MSE has both an AV component and an antimalware component. I'm wondering if what you are interpreting is actually MSE's AM component since MSE does automatically disable Defender.
    Sorry,no. I still have an independent Defender which still requests it's own updates,runs scans on schedule,& reminds me to scan;Completely independent of the MSE.
    When i installed MSE,I had already removed Avast,per instructions,but left Defender on and running in the background.
    I have both running,and working ok,and understand all of Fred's May 6 article. Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silas View Post
    Scans running at same time

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silas View Post
    Sorry,no. I still have an independent Defender which still requests it's own updates,runs scans on schedule,& reminds me to scan;Completely independent of the MSE.
    When i installed MSE,I had already removed Avast,per instructions,but left Defender on and running in the background.
    I have both running,and working ok,and understand all of Fred's May 6 article. Thanks
    Well there's something not quite right because MSE should automatically disable Defender Try reinstalling MSE and see if it does it.

Thanks
    Getting back on-topic, I like that Microsoft is finally taking responsibility for their own security issues. In Windows Vista and Windows 7, the built-in Windows Firewall is probably sufficient, and combined with MSE, you would be safe enough for most purposes. I would add a third-party interface for the outbound Windows Firewall controls, and maybe PC Tools Threatfire for advanced heuristics. UAC aslo serves a proactive defense purpose, once you get used to how it works. For second-opinion scans, Super Antispyware and Malwarebytes will soon have Native 64-bit scanning engines, so those are also excellent choices, but not necessary for first-line active defenses. Staying up to date with Secunia PSI is also a security measure, as is cleaning up your system with Glary Utilities (CCleaner does not yet do 64-bit Windows very well). And using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer might provide a bit more security as well.

JUST MY OPINIONS -- DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH !
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been quite happy with Vipre Premium. Easy to use and seems to protect well.

Anyone having different experience?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there,
    my favorite antivirus software is AVG internet security because its very capable and easy to deal also its data base will be upto date every day & that is extra reason for selecting this grate antivirus.
    tanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I love Avast. It updates itself. It stops a virus found when going onto a site that is infected. And you don't have to do anything to manage the removal. I have tried MSE when it first came out. I found it to slow down my PC. Slightly. I keep a very slim XP. Actually I am anal about it. After an uninstall and registry removal, I still do a search for leftover files and delete them.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using Sunbelt Software products under several names, the latest being Vipre Premium. I have had no problems with viri, rootkits or malware. It runs very secretively (no slow downs, etc) and the price, depending on the time of day or something, seems quite reasonable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast