New Lounger
    Thanks
    We are moving from a 10 system XP peer to peer network to a SBS 2003. Presently all users have their own my doc folders filled with word and excel docs.

Can someone recommend a document manager for the SBS or is it really necessary? We get by fine now but that's because everyone's docs are on their local computers for the most part.

Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You don't need a document manager, just re-direct their My Documents to the server and backup the server. Nothing need live on the PC again.
    Make sure you get plenty of storage for the server and a tape unit big enough to back it up.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    We run a 35 user SBS office, and we just set up a Data shared folder, then redirect all the Office products to open from/to there by default. Then, as above, you can just back up all your docs and data from one location.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Folder redirection will work, but more importantly, you have Sharepoint.

I'm curious as to why SBS 2003? No 64-bit server? If you had that server, SBS 2008 would be a better choice for a new installation.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The proper recommendation depends on your company needs. If you plan on operating as you have in the past then folder redirection is the way to go. If you need to have mulitple versions, check out/in, and other featues you should be looking at SharePoint. The bares bones version called WSS in SBS 2003 is free.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    The proper recommendation depends on your company needs. If you plan on operating as you have in the past then folder redirection is the way to go. If you need to have mulitple versions, check out/in, and other featues you should be looking at SharePoint. The bares bones version called WSS in SBS 2003 is free.

Joe
    Thanks everyone. I'll check this out (WSS). Appreciate the comments and suggestions.

(We are going with 2003 for compatibility reasons with some of our accounting software btw).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Would that be Quickbooks? We have the same issue here.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob peterson View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'll check this out (WSS). Appreciate the comments and suggestions.

(We are going with 2003 for compatibility reasons with some of our accounting software btw).

Quote Originally Posted by David Osten View Post
    Would that be Quickbooks? We have the same issue here.
    Out of curiosity is it the fact it is Windows 2008 that it is not compatible or more so the 64 bit architecture?

I had thought Quicken had resolved issues with Windows 2008 but it would also depend on the fact the client wants to be forthcoming with the money for the upgrade to the latest version.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    64 bit. We ended up with it loaded onto our Terminal servers (32bit W2003) and then 64bit all our other servers. Being an accountancy firm we are also stuck with running earlier versions of Quicken products, which definitely DON'T like 64bit! (not to mention some products that don't like Terminal Server!). The term I saw somewhere was "unsociable software".

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Osten View Post
    The term I saw somewhere was "unsociable software".

That is more politically correct than the term I would use in that situation. There may come a point in time where you have to virtualise a Win2k3 32bit server on your 64 bit 08 servers so you can retire the old hardware in the future. Also using Windows XP Mode if you have Win 7 desktops may also assist if you have software which purely refuses to run under TS-Application mode.

Anyway I do no want to further derail this thread, thanks for your reply David.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob peterson View Post
    We are moving from a 10 system XP peer to peer network to a SBS 2003. Presently all users have their own my doc folders filled with word and excel docs.

Can someone recommend a document manager for the SBS or is it really necessary? We get by fine now but that's because everyone's docs are on their local computers for the most part.

Thanks.
    Do you realllllyyy need a full-blown document management solution or maybe just a good backup product? Microsoft have Sharepoint but it's a bitch to configure and although very very powerful I have a feeling that you don't really need something that sophisticate (i got this impression since you are running peer-to-peer - i.e. No Active Directory).

I have a client of mine (5 PCs) that is using a continuous data protection backup installed on each of the machine and he configured it to backup to a share on the SBS (each user has a share - for security reasons). He is using a product called Oops!Backup that apart from extremely easy to use (employees can actually restore themselves), automatic and fast backups it also does basic version control - keeps different versions of documents so solves all the overwrite of doc or deleted by mistake issues. He configured it to back up to a NAS drive but I'm sure it can be set to back up to a network share as well. Give it a try - http://www.altaro.com

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Capalbo View Post
    Do you realllllyyy need a full-blown document management solution or maybe just a good backup product? Microsoft have Sharepoint but it's a bitch to configure and although very very powerful I have a feeling that you don't really need something that sophisticate (i got this impression since you are running peer-to-peer - i.e. No Active Directory).
    I disagree that SharePoint is a b**** to configure. As with any powerful program there are many options but that does not mean you have to use them all or configure them all. As with any program that may affect the whole company, regardless of company size, you must do some planning, training, and education.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    I disagree that SharePoint is a b**** to configure. As with any powerful program there are many options but that does not mean you have to use them all or configure them all. As with any program that may affect the whole company, regardless of company size, you must do some planning, training, and education.

Joe
    Joe .. by difficult to configure I didn't necessarily mean the actual setup - as really once you install it just works. But as you yourself mentioned to get the real advantages of Sharepoint you need to invest in employee education, maintain new systems etc. IMO . i just think thats it's overkill for a small company.

Administrator
    Thanks
    SharePoint can be daunting and may be overkill for some. But sometimes it is easier to get things done in a small company than change the culture and direction in a large company.

Joe

Joe