New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've looked everywhere I can think of & can't find any info on how to add comments to files in explorer. There is, among others like "date modified", a "comments" heading you can make visible. That would be great for program downloads & such with odd names so I could note what they do, if only I could figure out how to add them. I would expect that it's a place for adding comments, duh, but is that not the case?
    Anyone know?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're right, it doesn't seem possible in Win7 to get to the comments to add a description and then display that in details view. Its a simple thing to do in XP. Maybe someone will enlighten us both as to how its done now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Billings View Post
    There is, among others like "date modified", a "comments" heading you can make visible. That would be great for program downloads & such with odd names so I could note what they do, if only I could figure out how to add them.
    This is a point where renaming the file could be a help, especially when long files names are acceptable. Right click the name and choose rename. In most cases this is all it takes to remind me what this file does.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The comments can be added using any program to made and edit the file type in question, IF, that program has been designed to use this function.

With Word, all one needs to do, with the file open, go to the Office button, then Prepare and then properties. There you will see a "Comments" box, add the wanted information and the close the properties. Also while you are there have a look at what else can be added and edited.

Other programs look for the "properties" under the File menu.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a point where renaming the file could be a help, especially when long files names are acceptable.
    That helps certainly but its limited in two ways in that it still requires valid file naming and has to be kept short or it will be lost in the field truncation in details mode unless the field is pulled out more or its highlighted to show the entire name.

The comments can be added using any program to made and edit the file type in question, IF, that program has been designed to use this function.

With Word, all one needs to do, with the file open, go to the Office button, then Prepare and then properties. There you will see a "Comments" box, add the wanted information and the close the properties. Also while you are there have a look at what else can be added and edited.

Other programs look for the "properties" under the File menu
    That's ok, a good tip, but we're looking for smething universal that can be applied in the explorer dialogue just by right clicking on almost any file and under properties there will be a Summary tab where among other things, comments can be added at any time, and then of course be displayed in the comments field when in details view.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try the following using Windows 7

To add comments to a file that you can view in Windows Explorer:
    Right-click the file name and open the Properties dialog box.
    Select the Detail tab.
    Select the area to the right Comments and type your comments in the text box.
    When finished, click OK. You can also enable a folder to display information in the Comment column by using a
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is similar to the Summary tab in XP but can it be made to work universally, especially on the odd-named downloaded programs, which are mostly .exe, some zips, some msi? I see that properties can be removed. Would that then allow for new properties to be set or are they just removed?

Seems like the comments field in your example only works for jpg or jpeg files, it doesn't even seem to work for other image file formats (tried bmp and psd).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have tried it only on a few file types. You are correct as a lot of the file types are not supported.
    A lot has to do with the programs that are used to make the different files and when. Some of the newer programs have the comments built in, such as Office. Some programs have their own format which can only be read by their program, a lot of the photo programs do this.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One more reason XP is so hard to kill I guess. The only filetype of the common data and installation files that I've checked in XP that doesn't work (comments is greyed out) is with the avi exstention.