2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WOODY'S WINDOWS

Use Microsoft Office 2010 free for 180 days

By Woody Leonhard

Microsoft officially allows you to run the new Office 2010 — the whole enchilada — for up to 30 days, without entering an activation key.

Unofficially, there's a little-known trick allowing potential Office 2010 buyers to rearm trial copies, thus letting them kick the tires for half a year without spending a penny.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/05/20/06 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 18:38.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had a legitimate of Office 2007 for a couple of years and I downloaded the Beta of Office 2010 which I am currently using.
    I've purchased another copy of Standard 2007 Military Appreciation Edition (X663C) so that I may download the release of Office 2010 at no additional cost.
    Do I need to reinstall the new copy of 2007 to overwrite the 2010 Beta and then install the 2010 version when it becomes available?
    I do not want to lose my Outlook Contacts during the process.

Thanks
    Dave -

As I understand it, the 2010 Beta has to be uninstalled before you can install the 2010 version. No need to install O2007 in the interim. When you uninstall the Beta, your Contacts should - should - stay intact, but it's always smartest to back everythingup, eh?
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.