2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

LANGALIST PLUS

Taking charge of Windows' User Account Control

By Fred Langa

Windows can be a terrible nag, and in Vista and Windows 7 it can be most annoying when popping up its User Account Control (UAC) security prompts.

UAC implementation proved clumsy in Vista, and it can still annoy in Win7 — but there are ways to make it less so.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/05/20/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 18:37.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same problem (windows xp home)of the mic no longer working on skype and I believe it is a flaw in the latest version of Skype.

I was able to fix the problem by going to start/control panel/sounds and audio device/audio, open sound recording volume, microphone should be checked, then open advanced, "mic docking sel" should be unchecked. I believe skype is atuomatically checking this which is making the mic not working

I have not had any further problem with my mic since doing this.

Alan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: Windows desktop icons moving. Your proposed solution is a non-solution for me. Do you not suppose that I would have noticed something was wrong if I had had any of the sorting options checked? In my case I have icons in four groups, on the left side and right side of each of my two monitors. Three of the groups always keep their positions, but the group on the left side of the first monitor always shuffles around a few of the icons every time I reboot. Windows 7 64-bit.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: Jim Sheldon's non-working microphone:

"For the past couple weeks now, my mic (that I have used for over two years) has not worked. I went thru all the audio settings I have on this computer that I could find, and it is not muted, and it is selected. My sound card controls see that the mic is plugged in, and I have the latest and greatest audio drivers.

"I'm thinking it is an update from Microsoft or one of the three updates from Intel (Intel 945 motherboard) that I installed when I got back from Mexico - one of which was a chipset update - that caused the problem.

I had the same problem on my Toshiba laptop that I think was caused by a new Realtek AC'97 sound driver. The new driver has an obscure setting (Control Panel - Sounds - Audio - Sound Recording Volume - Microphone Advanced - Mic 2 Select) that was set which looked for input from the non-existent 2nd microphone. When I unchecked that, everything was fine with the (one and only) microphone.
    --
    Don

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Funny I had the same question, but I don't see Fred answering it!!!

The question in the article was  "Is there a way to tell Windows not to bring up UAC when I run certain programs?" As I read it, Fred's answers cover changes that effect ALL programs, not certain ones, so it does not answer the submitted question.

I, just like the questioner, want to only suppress UAC for certain programs I know and run daily, while keeping it active for other programs.

Thanks
    Re: The Microphone issue:

In Windows XP, MS10-021 (KB979683) can wreak all kinds of hardware havoc. When going back through the MS Updates, avoid this patch if your hardware is more than two years old. There's also a Vista patch which is causing similarly annoying problems. See http://www.askwoody.com for details.

The 945 Chipset Driver and the AC 97 Sound Device Driver are notoriously bad drivers. Updating them may help, but don't expect miracles.

If you are lucky, these advisories may be of some help.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
    Funny I had the same question, but I don't see Fred answering it!!!

The question in the article was  "Is there a way to tell Windows not to bring up UAC when I run certain programs?" As I read it, Fred's answers cover changes that effect ALL programs, not certain ones, so it does not answer the submitted question.

I, just like the questioner, want to only suppress UAC for certain programs I know and run daily, while keeping it active for other programs.
    As the acronym dictates this is "User Control" not "Application Control". May I suggest that you try to set up another 'User' with the Controls that you want for the app. then Rt-Click and select "RunAs" when starting these, in XP one can alter a shortcut to always bring up the "RunAs" dialog when Double-Clicked, I have not had a need to try this in V or W7 yet.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To prevent Windows from moving your icons (it drove me crazy, too), install a small program called DeskLock v.1.2. A tech friend installed if for me, so I don't know the site. You can load the icon to be hidden in your systray until you click or double-click on it.
    Double-clicking unlocks the icon if you want to move or delete something. Then, you can lock it again and everything will stay exactly where you put it.