Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I've run into a curious problem with a friend's computer. It will connect to the Internet OK if plugged directly into the cable modem, BUT it won't connect through a router. I've tried two different routers, reset the routers, etc. to no avail. Somehow the computer blocks access if connected to a router. Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Thanks
    Hi Chuck,
    What OS is running on the computer? What brand is the router?

You mentioned you reset both of the routers you tried, but did you reset the cable modem also? Unplug the power from the cable modem and the router. Turn on the cable modem first after about 30 seconds, then after 15-20 seconds turn on the router. Wait another minute and turn on the computer. This should reset everything and enable them to talk with one another. It is best to reset both modem and router when you add the router to the network.

If an install disk came with the router be sure to run it on the computer.

If this does not help, then check that the computer is getting an IP address by typing ipconfig /all in a command prompt window (cmd). Your manual should tell you what the default gateway address is on your router. Common ones are 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 but there can be others. Try to ping the router address.

Also check the DHCP server settings on the router and be sure your computer is setup to automatically receive IP addresses from DHCP .

If you have a software firewall active on your computer, check it to be sure it is not blocking communication with the router.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. We've done everything you suggested except for looking at IPconfig. Was able to access the router from the computer, but may not have checked it for DHCP settings. That could be some or all of the problem. Earlier on I tried shutting down firewall and anti-virus program, but that had no effect.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The router should have wireless encryption turned on (WPA2 is the only option to use) and this will require you enter the key when you attempt to connect. Did this happen?

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I wasn't clear - although he has a wireless router he is not using wireless anything. (Why his kids installed a wireless router is a mystery unless they wanted to be able to use their laptops when they visited him.) I found the computer hardwired to the modem, so I simply hardwired the modem to the router and the router to the computer, but that doesn't work. The one thing I didn't check was whether he had a wireless card in his desktop. It never occurred to me to look. If there is a wireless card in his desktop, then maybe there's a conflict when the computer tries to connect with both wireless and hardwire at the same time. However, while trying to set up the Internet connection through the router I noticed that he didn't have encryption established so I set that up. Only after that did I discover that he wasn't using any wireless devices. It's a rather confusing problem.

Thanks
    If there were an active wireless device in the desktop, you should be able to see it installed as a card by looking at the back of the machine; there would likely be some form of antenna there as well. Also, If wireless encryption has been set on the router then the desktop would pick up the signal and inform you that a wireless network was within range.

When you plugged the Ethernet cable into the router from the cable modem, did you snap the cable into the socket labeled "Internet"? That is the socket into which it should be inserted. The other router sockets are to connect to computers in the network.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree that there would be an antenna out the back of the desktop, and I don't recall seeing one. However, I wasn't looking closely. Your take on the wirelss performance is probably right. Yes, I plugged the modem cable into the proper socket on the router -- it is the only "odd" socket.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Your problem may be you have 2 DHCP servers, 1 in the modem and 1 in the router. Only the modem is valid.
    The other possibility is the computer has a hard coded IP address and it won't work with a router.

cheers, Paul