Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello All,

I haven't visited 'The Lounge' in some time and I'm hoping that you guys can help me out once again! I am really excited about the prospect of building my first custom PC and here is a list of the components I've carefully selected:

Antec Sonata III Piano Case & 500W EarthWatts PSU
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition CPU
    Crucial 4GB kit DDR3-1600 BL2KIT25664TB1608
    Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive
    MSI HD 5450 1GB DDR3 VGA DVI HDMI Out PCI-E
    LG GSA-H55 DVD Writer (already purchased)

I've roughly mapped out all the connections as seen on the attached Bitmap file and my questions relate to this:

1) IDE Connector for my - Does an IDE connection supply power to the DVD writer too?

2) Power supply includes two motherboard power connectors:
    24-pin ATX cable
    8-pin EPS
    Why are there two and will I need both?

3) Motherboard includes several PCI Express slots including:
    PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
    PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
    What's the difference between these two and which one should I use to connect my graphics card?

I cannot seem to find any conclusive answers to these questions after extensive 'googling' hence why I've returned to Woody's. As you may have already guessed I am somewhat of a novice so please bear this in mind.

If anyone could help me out here I would greatly appreciate it.

Pete G
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    1) IDE Connector for my - Does an IDE connection supply power to the DVD writer too?
    No, power to your DVD writer will come directly from your PSU and your PSU will, in most instances, provide the cable.
    24-pin ATX cable
    8-pin EPS
    Yes...
    Your MB will also have an 8 pin CPU power connection located near the CPU socket somewhere. Your CPU will need it's own power as will your graphics card. Most newer PSUs will also have either a 6 or an 8 pin power connector specifically for the graphic card needs, based on whether it's in an ATI/Crossfire config. You should have at least two 8 pin PSU connectors and maybe some spares.
    Many MB's will come with another power connection point other than the standard 24 pin connector for extended power usage such as an Extended ATX motherboard and server motherboards. They are also found on all dual CPU motherboards.
    You may or may not actually need this. Go through your MBs documentation.
    What's the difference between these two and which one should I use to connect my graphics card?
    Connect your graphics card to the fastest x16 connector and use your sound card, if you have one, to the lessor x8.
    x16 PCIe 2.0 has a greater speed/memory/bandwidth channel & it's usually the one located closest to the CPU.

Are any of these your CPU?
    Is this your MB?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete G View Post
    Hello All,

I haven't visited 'The Lounge' in some time and I'm hoping that you guys can help me out once again! I am really excited about the prospect of building my first custom PC and here is a list of the components I've carefully selected:

I've roughly mapped out all the connections as seen on the attached Bitmap file and my questions relate to this:

24-pin ATX cable
    8-pin EPS

I cannot seem to find any conclusive answers to these questions after extensive 'googling' hence why I've returned to Woody's. As you may have already guessed I am somewhat of a novice so please bear this in mind.

Pete G
    Pete G,
    Hello... I can't answer most of your questions ,except for #3 i can add some . I have a ASUS ENGT 240 Video card and it uses a PCI Express x16 . The one thing that you should consider is the Width between the "PCI E" slots. As most of the VGA cards have an on board fan that will sometimes block the next PCI slot ( like on my rig) I have seen both VGA PCI E types at (Directron / Newegg/ Tiger direct) don't think it would make any difference as to which you choose X8 vs X16 as long as either does what you want it to. You can check the "MOBO" layout on these sites as well, to see what might meet your needs. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You'll also need thermal paste for your CPU cooler. It may come with the CPU but may not be that great a quality.

I would also not choose a 1 TB drive. I would much rather have two fast and smaller drives (I have two 320GBs in my newest box). That gives you versatility and a place to back up data, or the entire C drive if you wish.

I would also assemble the MB outside of the case. The PSU will provide the ground and you will have lots of room to make connections and fiddle. Place the MB on something non-conductive, I use cardboard, and that won't screw up the underside connections. This is based on putting together hundreds of units. Once everything works, then put it in the case.

Good luck.
    Phil

Thanks
    Hard Drives...
    Choosing a 150-300 GB,10000rpm raptor for your primary boot os would be the sweet spot imo, if you can't afford an SSD.
    Then choose a couple of either 1TB or even 2 TB drives for all your storage needs, like avi and music files.
    Think about how you want things setup before hand. If your gonna go with a RAID type HDD config, Google for more info
    on optimal setups etc. or start a new thread.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    24-pin ATX cable
    8-pin EPS
    Your motherboard has both a 24-pin socket as well as an 8-pin 12v socket and since your power supply has both the 24-pin and 8-pin power connectors you should use both.
    The 8-pin started out as extra power for server CPUs but has since become prevalent in desktop boards, particularly boards that support quad core processors.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Don't bother with IDE, use all SATA devices.
    Don't assemble outside the case, just build it properly and double check (or triple).
    2 hard disks are always better than one. Use the first for storage and the second for backup.
    Spend some money on a good backup/image program, you will be glad you did. (Acronis was on special for $10 the other week.)

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you guy's for all your advice. My aim is to do as much research before I buy so that I am not stuck with a bunch of expensive components that are not compatible with one another!

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Are any of these your CPU?
    Is this your MB?
    Yes Clint this is my motherboard. My chosen CPU is the 125W Phenom.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Karl View Post
    You'll also need thermal paste for your CPU cooler. It may come with the CPU but may not be that great a quality.
    Thanks Phil, I hadn't thought about thermal paste which goes to show that I am an amateur! Would you be able to recommend a good brand for me to buy? I'm planning on buying most of the components from Ebuyer in UK and there is no mention of paste in the product description. In which case I think I would rather get some to ensure I'm fully prepared.

Once again thank you all for your advice. I hope you don't mind if I come back to this thread in the future with some more questions if need be?

Kind regards,

Pete G

Thanks
    Pete, if your AMD CPU comes with a heat sink/fan assembly, then it may come with a tube of thermal paste or have a thermal pad already on the bottom of the heat sink. Some folks stick with the pre-applied pad and some carefully remove the pre-applied thermal pad to apply a thermal compound of their choosing.

Ebuyer lists several thermal compounds here. Arctic Silver is very popular as well as the Antec compound and the Arctic Cooling MX-2.

You can google for an abundance of tutorials on how to safely remove any pre-applied thermal pad and prepare your cpu/heat sink surfaces if you decide on using one of the thermal compounds. When I install processors I remove the thermal pad and apply OCZ Freeze. The most important thing is to follow the instructions for application of the compound you select. One mistake some make is to apply too much compound. Generally, a dab the size of a grain of rice is good. Too much compound can impede cooling (the thinking that if a little is good, more is better, does not apply here) and can seep out onto your motherboard, definitely not good.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I guess the only problem I have with this build is the case. I think it comes up a little short.
    I don't care for case and PSU combinations. Get a case that has good cooling capabilities.
    You will need it for that Phenom. As far as the PSU is concerned, you will really appreciate
    a more modular type. JMO
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello All,

24-pin ATX cable
    8-pin EPS

Pete G
    Hi Pete,

As all the questions seem to have been answered to you.
    Have a look at this handy site.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buy...ide-may-2010/1

Usually Bit-tech does one each mont with different sets of criteria.

Personally I did an upgrade in February and used intels i5 750 cpu for my build. Usually I have been an AMD supporter but iIt was not that much more expensive than the AMD build.
    Good luck.

-Matti

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Phil, I hadn't thought about thermal paste which goes to show that I am an amateur! Would you be able to recommend a good brand for me to buy?
    Kind regards,

Pete G
    I would second Gerald's advice. I use Artic Silver, but being careful and uniform with application is probably more important than the brand. Don't slop it on.

Phil

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Stick with the heatsink and pad supplied with the processor. The CPU manufacturers don't supply things that don't work, it would cost a fortune in warranty claims.

cheers, Paul