New Lounger
    Thanks
    Whenever I try to update PC Tools Spyware Doctor I get the error message "Error while unpacking program, code LP5. Please report to author." I tried googling the error message but didn't find anything helpful (maybe I just overlooked the answer out there somewhere). Any ideas on how to get this program back on track?

On a side note, if Spyware Doctor isn't worth fixing, what other anti-spyware programs are better?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    If you are updating from within the program go to the web site, download the latest version, save it somewhere, and then try the install.

Have you tried contacting the author as the error message suggests?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried the download and reinstall deal, I get the same error message again. Contacted PC Tools but no response as yet.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you paid for the software or are you trialling it?

If it's the latter I would remove it and move on to another product unless you have a desire to troubleshooting it to get to the bottom of it.

It depends on the type of protection you want as you'll find Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to be quite good (free) if you are looking for a frequently updated on-demand scanner. If you are looking for memory resident protection you'll have to use the paid version.

I've found their support forums to be quite active and helpful. Another alternative is SuperAntiSpyware which I have used on occasion but less familiar with the product.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D Earl View Post
    Tried the download and reinstall deal, I get the same error message again. Contacted PC Tools but no response as yet.
    From what I've been able to find, this is either a corrupted file or a false positive from an a/v program. It is unlikely it is a corrupted file since you downloaded it again. What a/v program are you running? Have you tried having the A/V program ignore the installer program?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Nod32. I tried disabling it before running the Spyware Doctor update but still no joy. Also tried making Spyware Doctor an exception in the Nod32 program but no luck there either. Still haven't heard back from the PC Tools people. Has anyone else had this problem?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe its just time to give up on Spyware Doctor.... is there anything better out there?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Have you paid for the software or are you trialling it?

If it's the latter I would remove it and move on to another product unless you have a desire to troubleshooting it to get to the bottom of it.

It depends on the type of protection you want as you'll find Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to be quite good (free) if you are looking for a frequently updated on-demand scanner. If you are looking for memory resident protection you'll have to use the paid version.

I've found their support forums to be quite active and helpful. Another alternative is SuperAntiSpyware which I have used on occasion but less familiar with the product.

Quote Originally Posted by D Earl View Post
    Maybe its just time to give up on Spyware Doctor.... is there anything better out there?
    See above